Thursday, April 7, 2016

Review: Rising Shadows by Bridget Blackwood

Book Blurb:

Labeled an Arcane, Rachel Ryan wonders if she’s human anymore. After she’s thrown headlong into the world of The Preternatural Rachel learns Shapeshifters, Faeries, and Vampires aren’t legends. They’ve been living hidden in plain sight among humans. In her quest to save a child she will set off a cataclysmic chain of events. Her actions will disrupt the carefully balanced political chess board, casting once powerful pieces to the floor. A werewolf protector, a lost princess, a mad vampire, and an exiled Fae named Winter will rise up to challenge the status quo. A war that has been brewing in the shadows for centuries is ready to explode. Rachel must choose where her allegiance lies, tipping the scales, but who is an enemy and who is a friend?

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Werewolves, Witches--

Rachel has been locked up in a hospital for who knows how long being experimented on and then having her memory erased. Through experimentation, she has been turned into a weapon to wipe out supernaturals with just her mind. When she is set on a mission to destroy, she refuses to cooperate and instead sides with the supernaturals. Bastion, son of the shape-shifting Alpha, feels drawn to Rachel and will do anything to protect her, even go against the laws of his people. Their actions are a catalyst for a potential war.

I can honestly say that I really enjoyed the book, I just wish that it was longer. I flew through the pages since it was such a fast read, easily something I powered through in one sitting. I enjoyed everything I read for the most part, I just would have liked some more character development when it came to the relationship dynamics. I am a huge fan of the mate bond, but that does not cause insta-love, more like insta-attraction/draw/lust. But unfortunately, this story had characters that barely knew each other at all confess love after a few minutes of talking. I would have loved if the characters had time to build a relationship and get to know each other, which would have in turn caused the book to be longer. No complaints from me about a longer story because I enjoyed this world and the dynamics the author created.

If you are looking for a new paranormal read, dealing with all kinds of shapeshifters (and mates!) as well as witches, vampires, government experimentation, gory battles to the death, consuming love, Fairies, mystery, magic and an awesome set up for the next book, then this is the story for you. I look forward to reading more about Winter (even though this book was not about her, she is my favorite character) and the predicament she found herself in. I am excited to have stumbles across this world and can't wait for more adventures.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment