Monday, March 28, 2016

Review: Thief of Lies (Library Jumpers #1) by Brenda Drake

Book Blurb:

Gia Kearns would rather fight with boys than kiss them. That is, until Arik, a leather clad hottie in the Boston Athenaeum, suddenly disappears. While examining the book of world libraries he abandoned, Gia unwittingly speaks the key that sucks her and her friends into a photograph and transports them into a Paris library, where Arik and his Sentinels—magical knights charged with protecting humans from the creatures traveling across the gateway books—rescue them from a demonic hound.

Jumping into some of the world's most beautiful libraries would be a dream come true for Gia, if she weren’t busy resisting her heart or dodging an exiled wizard seeking revenge on both the Mystik and human worlds. Add a French flirt obsessed with Arik and a fling with a young wizard, and Gia must choose between her heart and her head, between Arik's world and her own, before both are destroyed.

My Review:

2.5 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Supernatural, Teen, Witches--

Gia is spending the day in the most amazing library when she notices an incredibly attractive boy in all leather. Instead of focusing on her research, she ends up trying to sneak peaks of the boy. When he mysteriously disappears while reading a book on libraries, Gia of course has to investigate. What happens next will lead her and her friends on a wild ride into the unknown.

This was a very interesting idea for a story, but while I was reading it, a lot of the book felt familiar from other books that I have read along the way. Just to be clear, I do not believe that the author stole or plagiarized, I just feel like I read so much teen that a lot of character dynamics and plot twists (and forbidden love) have been recycled here. The pacing was well done, but sometimes the action jumped around a bit and I had no idea who was doing what or where and it caused me to disengage from the story.I don't know if it was the fact a lot of the book felt like I had read parts before or because I had a hard time connecting to Gia made this book hard for me to get into. I did like the idea that the main idea of the story is that these teen sentinels main job is to protect the libraries in the world. I am all about keeping books safe.

To me, Gia did not really come across as having emotions. Maybe it was the way she was written, but I could not feel what she felt, instead I was told how she felt and it was really only the surface feelings. Also, sometimes she did these things that I found to be odd, like her complete infatuation with Arik causing her to be tongue tied. Also, when she met a new character who was suppose to be her guardian/helper, Gia was really rude and her attitude was a turn off on her character. She was not a very consistent character and I felt kind of blah towards her and her stereotypical friends who like each other but refuse to admit it. Some of the random side characters were more interesting to me, but whatever.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I am sure that others will enjoy this read. Overall the concept had potential, I just could not get into the story very well.

I received this title form the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment