Friday, February 12, 2016

Review: Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer

Book Blurb:

On his own.

Thomas Bellweather hasn’t been in town long. Just long enough for his newlywed mother to be murdered, and for his new stepdad’s cop colleagues to decide Thomas is the primary suspect.

Not that there’s any evidence. But before Thomas got to Garretts Mill there had just been one other murder in twenty years.

The only person who believes him is Charlotte Rooker, little sister to three cops and, with her soft hands and sweet curves, straight-up dangerous to Thomas. Her best friend was the other murder vic. And she’d like a couple answers.

Answers that could get them both killed, and reveal a truth Thomas would die to keep hidden…

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural--

Thomas found his mother's body, dead in her bed she shared with her new husband one night while going to the bathroom. The police have no clues or suspects, all signs point to Thomas. The only people that believe his innocence are his new step dad Stan who is a detective and a girl named Charlotte, who's entire family wants Thomas locked up. Thomas is determined to find out what happened that night to his mom since nobody else seems to want to.

Stupidly on my part, I went into this story expecting a teen angst type book full of drama and maybe a mystery with a resolution to the murder of Thomas's mother. I have read other books by the author and they were paranormal, so I don't really know why I was so caught off guard that this too was a paranormal story. It was a paranormal murder mystery that kept me guessing as to what would happen next because there were tons of twists and turns and darkness to keep me on my toes and be concerned for the main characters. Pretty much, nobody was safe. I really enjoyed the book and got lost reading it, and the time I spent not reading caused me to stew and speculate about what would happen next and who the murderer was. I did not predict the murderer, never even suspected said person to be guilty, so the resolution (sort kinda resolution) caught me off guard.

The book was narrated by Thomas and Charlotte, chapters alternating between their view points. Thomas was pretty much on his own from the start of the book on, and man did I feel bad for him. He lost his mom, the only person he was close to, everyone believes he is the murderer, he has nobody but a brand new stepdad who he knows nothing about, is an emotional mess, and just overall screwed. Charlotte on the other hand is treated like a princess in comparison, with a loving family (who lives as if it is the 1950's where women belong in the kitchen serving men while looking pretty and not thinking, but whatever). I liked both characters, who were really as opposite as they could be. Even Charlotte at times doubted Thomas's innocence, making it a strange case of me liking a person who I was not sure of his intentions or deeds.

I feel like this review is a little vague compared to some of my other ones, but half the fun is the mystery and following the breadcrumbs to the next clue. The ending was not really an ending in my opinion, so I am very anxious to see what happens next because I really hope there will be more. I need more. I enjoyed this book as I have the other books by this author I have read and look forward to what she writes next (which will hopefully be more about Thomas).

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment