Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Review: Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis

Book Blurb:

Daughters of Zeus, Book One

One day Persephone is an ordinary high school junior working at her mom’s flower shop in Athens, Georgia. The next she’s fighting off Boreas, the brutal god of Winter, and learning that she’s a bonafide goddess—a rare daughter of the now-dead Zeus. Her goddess mom whisks her off to the Underworld to hide until Spring.

There she finds herself under the protection of handsome Hades, the god of the dead, and she’s automatically married to him. It’s the only way he can keep her safe. Older, wiser, and far more powerful than she, Hades isn’t interested in becoming her lover, at least not anytime soon. But every time he rescues her from another of Zeus’s schemes, they fall in love a little more. Will Hades ever admit his feelings for her?

Can she escape the grasp of her powerful dad’s minions? The Underworld is a very cool place, but is it worth giving up her life in the realm of the living? Her goddess powers are developing some serious, kick-butt potential. She’s going to fight back.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Royal-Court, Supernatural--

Persephone has always been considered a little odd, but recently it has gotten worse. At times it feels like she hears voices calling her name that nobody else can hear, someone stalking her that is not there, and a strange things happens to men she speaks to, making them declare their love for her. Looking forward to the escape winter break provides, she and her best friend Melissa drive to the city for a concert but almost don’t make it due to a strange ice storm focused on Persephone’s car. Persephone is caught in the middle of an ancient battle she knows nothing about. Her knight in shining armor may be the boogie man in everyone else’s story.

I love the story of Persephone and Hades; for the most part I just can’t get enough of it and will read any retelling I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, it is hit or miss whether I like them or not. And I can honestly say hands down I really liked this version. There was enough similarity that the story and the characters are known, but with enough of a difference to keep me guessing as to what will happen next. I had never heard of Boreas, who just so happens to be the villain in this story, and Hades is the unexpected hero, so that was a nice change. It probably doesn’t hurt that I want to have Hades rescue me instead, but who am I to get in the way of “truu wuv”. I found out while reading that this is the first in a trilogy, which made me a little sad because I hate trilogies and long for the day I can pick up a book and have it be a complete story with no open ending or cliff hanger. But alas, I did enjoy this story and would love to continue the journey with Persephone.

Persephone was a fairly independent character and I really liked that about her. Her mother Demeter taught her to rely on herself and not be a damsel in distress, which I can completely back. In this retelling, Persephone has not come into her Goddess powers fully yet, but that doesn’t stop her from trying to take charge of her own life. I have secretly always rooted for Hades in the original story because come on, the heart wants what the heart wants. But in this version, he is actually the good guy and his actions are only to protect Persephone from harm. To put it mildly, he is swoon worthy. M other favorite character is Cassandra, the dead prophet. She could see everything that would come to pass, yet was as ridiculous and headless of her actions as any teenager. I found her to be entertaining with her commentary and subtle pushes for Hades and Persephone to be together.

Overall, I really liked this version and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next two books. I just hope for a happily ever after or them regardless of whatever twist the author throws in the way.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment