Thursday, July 16, 2015

Review: Let the Dead Sleep by Heather Graham

Book Blurb:

An Object of Desire? Or of Fear?

It was stolen from a New Orleans grave—the centuries-old bust of an evil man, a demonic man. It's an object desired by collectors and by those with wickedness in their hearts.

One day, its current owner shows up at Danni Cafferty's antiques shop on Royal Street, the shop she inherited from her father. But before Danni can buy the statue, it disappears and the owner is found dead….

Michael Quinn, former cop and now private investigator, is determined to find and destroy this object with its long history of evil and even longer trail of death. He and Danni are drawn together in their search for the missing statue, following it through sultry New Orleans nights to hidden places in the French Quarter and secret ceremonies on abandoned plantations.

But Cafferty and Quinn know that their story won't end when this case is closed and the dead rest in peace once again.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural--

When Dani's dad dies, she took over his curiosity shop filled with antiques and bizarre specialty items for sale. When a woman barges into the shop and wants Dani to take a carved bust in her posession since it is evil, Dani has no idea what to do. Next, Private investigator John Quinn shows up tells her it is her duty to help since her father would have. Dani has no idea what is going on and realizes that there was more to her father she ever knew, and she may be in over her head.

Shock of all shocks, I listened to this one as an audiobook in my car. Those who know me, know my many issues with audiobooks, predominantly being my disconnect with the story. For some reason sitting down and reading a book, be it a book-book or an ebook on my Nook, I am so much more engaged than when I listen to an audiobook. I find myself zoning out and having to try and find the last spot I remember listening to. Big Freaking Pain! Yet I keep putting myself in that situation because I like the concept of "reading" a book while driving, the whole multitasking thing I can't stop doing, and I grew up listening to audiobooks in the car with my Mom so they have sentimental quality I try to recapture as well.

I was very impressed with the narrator of the books ability to not annoy me. Yes, I am aware that sounds very horrible, but it is the truth. I continuously try to find audiobooks to listen to when I am driving and they drive me utterly insane by the end of the book. Without fail, the narrators end up doing something to make me hate listening or stop paying attention to the story. I give mad props to this narrator because I did not want to turn the book off once due to an issue with the reading. She was able to create a unique voice for the main characters, as well as all the side characters. And her skills with accents was impressive. I would listen to a book narrated by her any day, and that is singing her praise in my world. When I would stop the book when I reached my destinations, I had no problem picking the story back up where it left off, even if I hadn't listened to it for days. I am not sure if it was the author's skills or the reader, but there was a smooth flow to the book.

I have read tons of books by Heather Graham, and she has mastered the art of the romance with some spooky elements (usually ghosts) thrown in to help the plot move. This book I guess is the start of a new series but it was more of a murder investigation with a few elements of supernatural and a dash of romance. Overall I though it was a solid murder mystery with lots of potential suspects, but I was a little disappointed since I was looking forward to the romances that I come to expect from Graham. Don't get me wrong, it was a solid story, but not what I was hoping it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment