Friday, March 13, 2020

Review: Dragon Rising by M. Lynn

Book Blurb:

Sometimes a battle isn't waged on a bloody field.

Sometimes it's won within the heart of one girl.

Hua Minglan wants revenge for the death of her sister, and she'll do anything to get it.

A war is brewing between Piao and the Kou warriors to the north, a war that has called every able-bodied man in Piao from their fields.

When Hua's father is summoned to fight, she knows he won't return, most of them don't.

With a decision that could cost her everything, she leaves her home behind in an attempt to take her father's place training under Commander Jian Li, brother to the emperor.

The commander is a harsh man, a demanding man, and one with his own desire for vengeance.

Hua can't get too close. She can't befriend the man who is able to bring her deceptions tumbling to the ground. If he learns the truth about who she is, it won't only see her shunned from the army for disguising herself as a man.

It will end in her execution.

Hua never imagines that by joining the army, she brings a greater foe into the heart of Piao.

What if the Kou are only a distraction?

What if the real enemy is her?

Find out more about Dragon Rising on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Heart-Wrenching, Historical, Retelling, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense--

I started this book with very high expectations for two reasons- 1)I love all things Mulan and this is listed as a retelling of one of my favorite Disney movies, 2)I heard this author is fantastic. Based on both those items, I was super excited but also moderately concerned the story would not live up to my expectations. I am ever so happy to report Dragon Rising was absolutely fantastic, better than I even hoped. Somehow, maybe with magic, the book was able to mix heart-break, action, character development, culture, complicated relationship dynamics, romance and dragon into a cohesive story I could not put down.

This followed a very similar plot backbone to the Disney cartoon Mulan, with a girl who goes to war in her father's place and a stoic general tasked with training soldiers, but from there Dragon Rising was something entirely it's own- and I mean that in the best of ways. I will admit that this was darker than I anticipated, which is purely my own fault since the conflict in the story is a bloody war, I guess I just did not think that far ahead. If you are looking for light-hearted or comic relief, this is not the right story to pick up. If you want a strong, competent heroine who is capable of saving the day on her own, then this is the story for you.

Oh what a tangled web we weave in this tale. We have Hua who is pretending to be a man-boy to fight in the war for a twofold purpose- to avenge her sister and to save her ailing father from fighting a battle he won't survive. I love how many people knew who Hua really was but decided to hold their tongue, seeing her need and purpose clearly and supporting her fully. For the second main character, we have General Li (Jian), bastard brother to the emperor, tasked with training new recruits and hoarding a boatload of personal baggage against their enemy. And then there is Luca, a side character, who charming and easy going, the man her father arranged for her to marry- even while he holds feelings for another, who he never be able to have. Side note, NaiNai, the all knowing grandmother was fantastic- everything I wanted her to be and more, just saying.

Overall, this was a fantastic engaging book and I would not change a single thing! This my current favorite read and I can't wait for the next book to see what will happen to Hua and Jian next.

No comments:

Post a Comment