Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Review: Suppressed (Suppressed, #1) by Wendi Wilson

Book Blurb:

There are strange things out there. Things I thought only existed in fairy tales.

My name is Kailani Ericson and my life pretty much sucks. My mother is an indentured servant in this lonely house, serving a hateful old woman who gets her kicks by terrorizing me. One of my few comforts is the sea in my backyard. Diving into its frigid depths is the one thing that makes me truly happy.

Then he shows up, and my entire world shifts.

Bryce Howell is gorgeous, every girl’s fantasy. He’s also arrogant, insolent, and strictly forbidden. But he’s not normal. He’s something different. Something magical. Our attraction to each other just may be my downfall.

As it turns out, I’m not normal either. I am the stuff of myths and legends. Suddenly, my love of the sea and its pull on me make a lot more sense.

They say legends never die, and I hope that’s true. There are those who want me dead, and if I can’t put a halt to my seemingly inevitable transformation, there will be nothing I can do to stop them.

I love the sea, but ultimately, it might just be what kills me.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Kailani and her mom live in the house of the wealthy woman her mom is a maid for, but they are treated more like slaves than an employee, with rules and no rights, yet her mom seems fine with it. When a new boy moves into the house next door, Kai feels drawn to him, but his flirty personality turns her off. While she secretly pines for him, he keeps inserting himself into her life, peeling away her barriers until she realizes she wants to be with him, regardless of the strange demand of her mom's boss. But there are things that Kai does not know about herself as well as her crush Bryce, which may change her life forever.

​I have actually never read a book about mermaids before so I will admit I was instantly intrigued by the idea. Sure, I have read books with underwater worlds, and steampunk things that let people breathe under water, but never a legitimate mermaid. Most of my mermaid knowledge comes from the Disney movie (no, not the original fairy-tale with sadness and sea foam) ​The Little Mermaid and the old yet awesome film Splash. I got that mermaids are not suppose to be with man, they have tails, and that's about it. I had no idea what to expect when I started this story and that was a nice treat. In a world bogged down by the same, it was refreshing to have something entirely different.

I really liked the strength of the relationship between Kai and her best friend Ann, it was a deep connection that could withstand anything and gave me happy feels to see a quality friendship in a YA book. Also, this book was as much a romance as a growing-up/mystery, and the romance was incredibly intense, at times a little uncomfortable (for me) as to the intensity. Keep in mind the book was very PG and good for younger teens, but the bond between Kai and Bryce was very adult, which I think was where my hangup with the book is since I saw Kai as so young, innocent and naive, but her romantic relationship was none of the above (in terms of the emotions, not the touching).

The story was full of surprises and twists that I could not predict which kept me on my toes, and the ending was incredibly quick and shocking, so I would love to know how the story will continue next. This was overall a really fast read that would be good for any mermaid or paranormal romance fans out there.

​I received this title in return for my honest review.​

No comments:

Post a Comment