Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Review: The Dead Seekers (Dead Seekers #1) by Barb Hendee & J.C. Hendee

Book Blurb:

In the New York Times bestselling Noble Dead saga, Barb and J.C. Hendee created an engrossing mix of “intrigue, epic fantasy, and horror.”* Now, they present a bold new series set in the same world, where the destinies of two hunters shaped by the shadows of their pasts are about to collide...

In the dark reaches of the eastern continent, Tris Vishal travels from village to village, using his power to put unsettled spirits to rest. He works alone, having learned that letting people close only leads to more death. Still, he finds himself accepting the help of the Móndyalítko woman who saves his life—a woman whose gifts are as much a burden as his own.

Mari Kaleja thirsted for vengeance since the night her family was taken from her. She has searched far and wide for the one she thinks responsible, known only as “The Dead’s Man.” But before she can kill him, she has to be sure. Mari hopes traveling with Tris will confirm her suspicions. But as they embark on a hunt where the living are just as dangerous as the dead, she learns the risks of keeping your enemy close...

Because it’s no longer clear who is predator and who is prey.

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Mystery, Royal-Court, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense--

Mari has been on the hunt for the Dead’s Man for years since she watched her family slaughtered by his hand. But now that she has found him, he does not really match up to what she thought he was. Mari takes up the Dead’s Man’s offer to accompany him on a strange quest to try and gain more information before she kills him. Tris has always been different from everyone else, making him ostracized yet people seek him out for his “gift” with ghosts. Tris is hired to rid a village of a spirit, but what he finds is only a small part of a bigger plan that he intends to stop.

Reading this book really affirmed for me that I have really missed the Hendee’s books. The Dhampir series is one of my absolute favorite and I forgot all about my love for the worlds and the people that these authors can create together until I sat down to read this book. This is the first in a new series so it is the perfect place to start for new readers and old reader alike. This is Fantasy at it’s best, and I loved every minute of it. I feel like the Hendee's are more approachable with their fantasy writing (unlike how I felt about the world created in The Hobbit and the like which I found to be overwhelming and caused me to disconnect from the book). But here, it is a completely fantastical world but I never felt left out or lost in any way, instantly a part of the story. I was carried away by the story, 100% engaged and eager for more.

The plot is just as important as the character development in creating a great book, and this was spot on. I loved the complexity of Mari and Tris, both very different yet compelling, and I liked how the reader learns tidbits along the way of who they are and why. Nothing is every easy with them, and the dynamic between then was no exception- I was not sure if they would be besties or try to kill each other. Not to be too spoilery, but I liked how relationship formed between Tris and Mari and I can’t wait to see where is will go next. It makes me wonder if the authors split up the characters where one will write the female and vice versa because Tris and Mari are unique yet mesh so well. Oh, and let's not forget Heil the Apothecary and his magic mixing, as well as his surprising knowledge of things such as Mari and ghosts... (I would like to be a fly on the wall with the banter between the three after the ending of the book, just saying).

The story was full of mystery, secrets, suspense and horror elements​ and I am desperate to get my hands on the next book (keep in mind this book was just released and I don't even know when the next one will come out). The mystery of this book wrapped up nicely, but there is still so much more to know about Tris and what Mari will do and about the shadow. I can't wait to see where the story will go next. I will just have to re-read the Dhampir books to tide me over.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment