Sunday, May 1, 2016

Review: The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding

Book Blurb:

A ridiculously cute, formerly-famous new guy dropping into your life? It's practically every girl's dream.

But not Jules McCallister-Morgan's.

I realize that on paper I look like your standard type-A, neurotic, overachiever. And maybe I am. But I didn't get to be the editor of my school's long-revered newspaper by just showing up*. I have one main goal for my senior year-early acceptance into my first choice Ivy League college-and I will not be deterred by best friends, moms who think I could stand to "live a little," or boys.

At least, that was the plan before I knew about Alex Powell**.

And before Alex Powell betrayed me***.

I know what you're thinking: Calm down, Jules. But you don't understand. This stuff matters. This is my life. And I'm not going down without a fight.

----

* Okay, I sort of did. But it's a sore subject.

** I mean, I guess everyone knows about Alex Powell? Two years ago, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about viral video boy band sensation Chaos 4 All. Two years ago, Alex Powell was famous.

***Some people think I'm overreacting. But this. Means. War.

Filled with romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable high school story that's sure to have you falling for The New Guy.

My Review:

2.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Teen--

Jules is in her senior year and everything is going according to her plan to achieve her goals and go to college. While performing her duties as part of the welcoming committee and giving new students a tour, she meets Alex, former boy-band star, all around attractive friendly guy. Jules tries to but up boundaries to keep her no dating rule, but Alex causes her to change her mind. After giving in to her feelings for Alex, a betrayal causes her to lash out and want revenge.

Sigh. I wanted to like this book, it started off pretty good, but it just did not do it for me. It was pretty light-hearted, and a very quick read, but it just did not hold my interest enough once the BIG conflict occurred. I hate plots that are based on miscommunication! I don't want to give anything away, but the reason for the break-up/"betrayal" was so stupid and I was surprised by the turn of events. Jules gets mad about something that Alex does, but he had NO IDEA what was wrong and she never said. Instead she breaks up with him, is a total jerk and wages war. Sigh. If he had actually done an evil deed then I would have been more behind the story, but the second half of the book was just not interesting to me.

I found the main characters to be more of an idea or a cluster of stereotypes instead of actual people. Jules is an ambitious, socially awkward girl who has never had a relationship before nor any desire to do so because relationships would get in the way of her ambitious goals. Alex, the love interest, was not well described pretty much at all. I know the bare minimum about him- he use to be in a boy band, he is friendly and attractive, he can't drive, appreciates "real" people and likes to hang around Jules. Yep, that sums up who he is as a character. It was hard to get too invested in the book when the characters were not relatable or very real. I I did like the best friend Sadie, she was spunky and entertaining, but not the focus of the story.

Overall this was a fast teen read about growing up and learning how to be a better person. I think this would be a good book for a younger teen/pre-teen due to the mild content (and they would probably eat the plot up). The writing style made the book flow smoothly and despite my negative feelings towards this story, I would read more from this author in the future.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment