Saturday, April 30, 2016

Review: Falling Light by by Dayana Morency

Book Blurb:

This will be the summer of love . . . and death.

When seventeen-year-old Rosalynn Young pictured her summer vacation, she didn't think she would be spending it working as a maid at the Millennium Hotel. She imagined painting and gardening. But soon, in spite of her disappointment, she meets Victor Gregoire. Wayward and enigmatic, he sends a chill up her spine. Everything about him feels foreign--unearthly.

Dangerously drawn to Victor, Rosalynn willfully ignores his volatile mood swings. When she impulsively enters Victor's room, she finds a journal dating back to the 19th Century and a photograph of him from August 14, 1874.

He's hiding something sinister and she's desperate to find out what, even if it means risking everything. But Rosalynn fails to realize that her attraction to Victor comes at a price and she soon learns some secrets are better kept hidden.

She's in for the summer job of a lifetime.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Angels, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Teen--

Rosalynn has hada hard life, moving from foster home to foster home after her parent's death when she was 7. She found herself employed during the summer as a maid at a hotel, where she finds an intriguing boy. Rosalynn makes it her mission to find out more about this mysterious boy while trying to battle the drama that is high school, a place where she just does not fit.

I was really excited to read this book. When I started the actual reading part, I was a little let down. I don't want to give too much away because there were a lot of mysteries that book built up to that I don't want to ruin so my review will be a little vague. This was not a bad story, it was just not very engaging for me. Also, the romance (which was the focus of the story in my opinion) was terrible! There was no build-up, it was pretty much an instant fascination which therefore equals love, and I hate that. Rosalynn sees said love interest, can't speak because she is nervous, he is rude to her, and that instantly starts the path to love. She finds out secrets about him but nothing about who he is as a person, but it's totally fine because she loves him. Male interest smelled her and knew he wanted her, despite his intentions to stay away. Arggh, I need my relationships to build (based on communication and real interactions) not an idea.

I not going to lie, I found some correlations between the story and twilight. Girl finds herself in a situation with a dangerous guy and male interest saves the day. Girl is curious about male interest and he refuses to answer, so she takes matters into her own hands to investigate the situation leading to a big reveal encounter. Girl realizes that she is in danger being around male interest, but refuses to give him up or stay away. Yes I lot of the scenarios I described have been featured elsewhere in stories, but there was a Twilightish feel to this story. I can't put my finger on it exactly, maybe the girl's awkwardness/loneliness/innocence, the fact all the guys want her and she is SO OBVIOUS to it all, the crazy devoted obsession with a guy she knows nothing about and was rude to her the one time they talked (and smelled her), one girl befriending her and just happens to be a make-up/clothing fashionista to style her when needed, guy sneaking in to hold her at night while she sleeps yet still very PG, the simplistic writing style. The plot was not the same per se, and I love that the supernatural element was different, but it just felt similar.

All my ranting aside, I liked that the author took a new and different direction for her supernatural world that I never predicted. The plot had a few twists that also kept me on my toes (when I was not fuming of the love). Anyone who likes a teen paranormal romance and enjoyed Twilight would probably really enjoy this story.

I received this title from the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment