Monday, December 21, 2015

Review: Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Book Blurb:

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn't know is that Luc is on a mission. He's been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie's soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn't stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can't be far behind. And sure enough, it's not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie's soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.

My Review:

2 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Angels, Another-World, Audiobook, Supernatural--

Frannie is confused and filled with lust when gorgeous new student Luc comes to her school and starts showing her attention. Little does she know, but Luc is really a demon sent from Hell to tag her soul for Hell. Things get even more complicated when Gabe shows up, another attractive boy Frannie is drawn to who is secretly an angel trying to save Frannie’s soul. It’s a battle of good and evil with Frannie as the unsuspecting prize.

I am venturing into audiobook territory again so you get my opinion of the book as well as the quality of the book as an audio version.

I am not impressed with the story. There, I laid it out for you, complete honesty. I thought the plot had potential, but it took FOREVER to go anywhere. I was half way through before I even really understood what was happening except the fact a demon wanted to mark a confused teen girl for evil. The sad thing is that I wanted to read this book for a long time, so maybe my expectations were unrealistic. Sigh. I don’t know. I of course finished the book because that is what I do but I found myself more annoyed than interested most of the time.

The book alternates between Frannie’s (Mary Francis) point of view and Luc (Lucifer, yes really, and the strange part is nobody questions that his name is Lucifer. If I met a Lucifer, I would assume his parents were Satanists or something and would need clarification, but whatever.) I did not like either of them, not even a little bit. I did like Riley one of the best friends who was barely in the book as well as the angel Gabe, but that is a moot point I guess. To me, this was a book about an emotionally confused lust driven silly girl who I found to be very wishy-washy with no real personality. She talked a big talk but was no action. She says she swears off boys and then she falls all over them at ever chance. And if Luc mentioned smelling emotions and how delicious they were one more time I was ready to punch him. I get it, ok? Emotions have certain smells and all the girls lust after Luc. Once would have been enough for me, but I felt like the author was beating a dead horse with all his scent talks.

On the audiobook aspect, there is a male and female narrator, one for Frannie and one for Luc. I feel like the male one does an ok job, but the female narrator for some reason bugged me. At times she was just slightly too energetic about things and she had a lisp. I did see a study recently that said there is something in a woman's pitch while speaking on podcasts that annoys most audiences, so maybe that phenomenon applies here and I am a big jerk for being annoyed with her.

I was not really interested in the story and I think I lack motivation to continue on with the books. If someone gave me a copy of book 2 in a written form I might give it a go, but never on audio again with these narrators.

No comments:

Post a Comment