Thursday, June 11, 2020

Review: Reckless Cruel Heirs (The Lost Clan #5) by Olivia Wildenstein

Book Blurb:

Imagine falling through a portal, into a supernatural prison, with the most hateful faerie.

When my father, the King of Neverra, forced my hand into the Cauldron to cement a political alliance with the Farrows, I thought my night couldn’t get any worse. But lo and behold, it did. On top of being engaged to Remo Farrow, the rudest fae in my kingdom, I now have to repay a bargain I struck to get out of trouble.

A bargain that sends me hurtling into a world of trouble.

A world I didn’t even know existed, unwelcoming and wicked, and forever changing; a world where my powers—all of them—fail me.

The worst part is, I don’t land in supernatural jail alone. Who should follow me through the damned portal but the bane of my existence . . . my new fiancĂ©.

Here I was, worrying how I’d save my life, but suddenly, it’s my sanity I’m more concerned about.

The Maze Runner meets The Cruel Prince with a dash of Jumanji. Welcome to the next Neverrian generation . . .

Find out more about Reckless Cruel Heirs on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Survival, Suspense--

In case you didn't realize, this is very much a romance- sure it is a romance that just so happens to be packed with danger and crazy scenarios where the character's lives are constantly at risk, but still a romance (think if the movies Jumanji (the new video game version) meets 10 things I hate about you had the best love baby- with supernatural Fae). This is really the best example of enemies to lovers, which is one of my all time favorite romance plots. I enjoyed the journey of watching Amara and Remo start as awful enemies, to reluctant partners, to respectful almost-friends to romantic interests (insert happy dance here).

“You’re jealous of me?” He peered down at me through his dark auburn lashes. “Who isn’t? You have everything. You’re even pretty. You could’ve at least been born with some facial warts or a weak chin.”

 I blinked at him. “You think I’m pretty?” 

His forehead crinkled as though my question were causing him physical pain. “On the outside.”

 If both my hands hadn’t been immobilized, I would’ve smacked him. “You’re such an ass.”

If I could change one thing about this book, it would be to have the book be dual narrated by Remo! He was so stoic and elusive, I would have loved to get a look inside his (very sexy) head. Yes, this is purely selfish desire, but still. I found him to be a great character, full of complicated layers and motivations, I just wanted to pick him apart (in the best of ways, I swear!) For such a "bad guy" he was dreamily chivalrous, caring and determined- Amara would never have been able to survive a Fae supernatural prison without him- nor would I have wanted her to. Side note- Amara is a great character and I loved watching her character evolve through the book, she became more competent as well as open about her own feelings.

“What good is a hero without a villain?” My eyes widened , and then I blinked. And then I laughed. “I’m your villain?” In between waves of hilarity, I said, “What a villain I make. Scared of ghosts and a complete klutz on stairs.” I wiped the corners of my eyes and elbowed him with my good arm. “No one would read that story.”

This is my current favorite book in the Lost Clan Series, and maybe my favorite book by this author. Reckless Cruel Heir was exciting, dangerous, stressful, fun, swoony, steamy, compelling and overall romantic. This stands very well as a standalone (even though it is the 5th in the series) since there are new characters with a new adventure and romance, just set in the already created world with characters that I love from the previous books. Also, this had a HEA all it's own and I ate it up! I do hope a certain blast from the past can get their own HEA next...

No comments:

Post a Comment