Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

Book Blurb:

Alessandra is tired of being overlooked, but she has a plan to gain power:

1) Woo the Shadow King.

2) Marry him.

3) Kill him and take his kingdom for herself.

No one knows the extent of the freshly crowned Shadow King’s power. Some say he can command the shadows that swirl around him to do his bidding. Others say they speak to him, whispering the thoughts of his enemies. Regardless, Alessandra knows what she deserves, and she’s going to do everything within her power to get it.

But Alessandra’s not the only one trying to kill the king. As attempts on his life are made, she finds herself trying to keep him alive long enough for him to make her his queen—all while struggling not to lose her heart. After all, who better for a Shadow King than a cunning, villainous queen?

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense--

At the heart of this story was a romance. And it had the best possible message- find the person who loves you for you, where you never have to hide who you are or sugar coat the truth (and can laugh at your past murders...). I loved that while the main character fully embraced her sexuality and needs, the romance in the book was a slow burn, the two characters got to really know each other before they ever even touched, which totally upped the tension for me!

Alessandra was an interesting character, one I would never want to have as an enemy. She is clever and about two steps ahead of everyone else, looking for leverage (cough cough blackmail) to manipulate the situation to her best advantage. She also loved pretty things and knew exactly how to draw the eye as needed. And the best part, she had no shame about who she was or what she wanted, her drive and confidence were truly things of wonder. I want more girls like this in literature!

And yes, while I said this was a romance, there was also a murder mystery to keep you guessing, with tons of possible suspects and assassination attempts peppering the plot to keep you on your toes.

I have really enjoyed all the books by this author, my favorite thing being how different each world has been, making unique fun reads that I can't wait to get my hands on more of. That being said, I think this is my current favorite, mainly due to the lush world created, with fantastic descriptors of decadent food and gorgeous costuming and scenery that I felt like I could see, taste and touch right along with the characters. I became part of this world with Alessandra, sitting down to read and blowing through the book over a weekend since I didn't want to stop. I highly recommend this story for anyone who like crafty smart heroines (villainess?) and steamy romances.

No comments:

Post a Comment