Thursday, October 17, 2019

Review: Moonburner (Moonburner Cycle #1) by Claire Luana

Book Blurb:

Kai is a Moonburner—a female sorceress reviled by her people and normally killed at birth. Except Kai's parents saved her by disguising her as a boy—a ruse they've kept up for almost seventeen years. But when her village is attacked, Kai’s secret is revealed and she’s sentenced to death.

Thankfully, the gods aren’t done with Kai. Despite the odds stacked against her, she escapes her fate, undertaking a harrowing journey to a land where Moonburners are revered and trained as warriors.

But her new home has dangers of its own—the ancient war against the male Sunburners has led the Moonburners down a dark path that could destroy all magic. And Kai, armed only with a secret from her past and a handsome but dangerous ally, may be the only one who can prevent the destruction of her people...

Mulan meets Sarah J Maas in this thrilling tale filled with celestial magic, death-defying adventure, and enduring friendships.

For fans of:

Teen Science Fiction and Fantasy

Young Adult Fantasy

Young Adult Action & Adventure

Coming of Age

Strong female protagonists

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Mystery, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Suspense, Witches--

Kai has spent her whole life living as a boy and dying her hair so the silver of who she really is could be kept secret. In a world where female magic users, or Moonburners, are feared and killed at birth, Kai has never been given an opportunity to learn about the magic that should fill her. But when she exposes her secret to save an innocent, she condemns her parents to parents to death and herself to potential death in exile. Kai needs to find the strength to survive and conquer her magic to save not only herself but her people as well.

Ok, I will admit that I knew almost nothing about this book when I decided I needed to read it. All I knew was it has a gorgeous eye catching cover I needed (yes, I am a cover snob) and it was about magic. I was super happy with what I actually got in the story! This was an action packed Asian style world full of magic, conspiracies, hard truths, war and the best animals imaginable. Did I happen to mention I love animals? Well, a book where worthy magic users get an animal soul companion (seishen) they can speak to can't get much better than this.

My absolutely favorite thing about the story was Quitsu, the main character's seishen fox soulmate. He was mischievous, outgoing and so smart, the perfect foil to the quiet and thoughtful Kai who spent her whole life having to hide who she really was. While this story did have some dark and serious subject matter, once Quitsu was introduced he was able to lighten everything up for me, the break in dark I needed.

I actually did not realize this was a series until I finished the book and I looked up the author on Goodreads and saw there are more books to read. Based on the ending it technically could be a standalone with how all the big issues were wrapped up and the world seems to be mending for better, but I would love to read more set in this world. I have read a few Asian style mythology fiction stories recently and it made me realize that I love them and want more. The narrator did a great job bringing Kai to life and had so many different voices to make this an immersive experience for me. I really liked Moonburner and all the twists and surprised the author threw at me and I can't wait to jump into the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment