Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Audiobook Review: Negative Zero (Soldier of Light Chronicles #1) by Ireland Gill

Book Blurb:

If you thought death was the end...you’d be dead wrong.

Life was barely manageable after my mom was murdered three years ago. I wasn’t sure what my purpose was anymore. But then on my twenty-first birthday, I drank a little too much and fell from the roof of my nine-story apartment building.

I died. Then... I un-died.

Enter Hayden, my really bossy (and hot) guardian angel whose duty is to train me to be the next “Soldier of Light.”

Sound fun? Well, it’s not. I save dead people, helping them move on to the World of Light. And to make matters even worse, they are all troubled souls stuck in the Dark Realm with the devil and his army of demonic creatures. They roam my city’s streets at night, waiting for me to screw up.

The Afterlife is one of Death’s best kept secrets, and I’m living proof. I’m pretty sure I’m the wrong person for this job, despite what Hayden thinks. Guess I’m stuck saving the dead.

“Paranormal elements, action, drama, friendship, struggles, mystery, life and death, romance….all put together nicely, and driven by a strong female MC.”

“An absolute must-read for fans of novels such as “Hush, Hush,” and “Twilight.”

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

3.5 Out OF 5 Stars

Genre: Angels, Audiobook, Ghosts, Heart-Wrenching, Romance, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense--

The first four chapters of the book were VERY hard for me to listen to. We meet Evika who is very much alone and lonely on her 21st birthday. She struggles with depression and sorrow from the murder of her mom three years prior and her only person, her best friend, has recently moved to another country for school leaving her with nobody to be with on her supposedly special day. Evika was a hot mess of emotions, with grief, despair, angst and a complete lack of regard for her own well being. She was on a one way track to her own demise- which I guess is what happened, but it was a much better life she had once she died (ironic!) Keep in mind the story is still very dark, dealing with evil spirits and ghosts and such (including a description of a terrible child sexual assault), but it was much easier to deal with (for me, the reader).

Evika was an incredibly reactive character, acting on impulses with no thought. Even after her traumatic event in the book she was still so dangerously impulsive, which made me want to shake her! Every time something happened she did not like or could not process, she would literally run away, like a petulant child. She had a lot on her plate and some strong dark emotions so I will cut her a break and hope that she can mature as a character in the next book in the series. She was hard to relate to with her self-destructive behavior and attitude, I saw that she was experiencing pain but I still wanted her to make better choices and learn to cope since she had ZERO coping skills. Hayden aka the guardian angel was a great character, real yet ambivalent and so freaking patient!

My favorite part of the book was the world building and I feel like this book is just touching on the tip of this dark, interesting and incredibly unique supernatural read. These are not your mother's angels, instead they are moody, drink bear and drive a harley (but they are still very attractive!) I loved that while this was an angel book, it took a different origin for the angels and there was no real religious overtone which I loved about the story.  I can't wait to see which direction the story and world will take next.

Overall this story was something very different from anything I have read before and I look forward to more of the world unfolding as well as a forbidden love connection finally happening (I hope!!). The audiobook narrator gave Evika personality and depth, really portraying her feels so that I experienced them too. I recommend this to anyone who loves angel stories, angst and heartbreak as well as a scary new kind of supernatural.

No comments:

Post a Comment