Friday, July 12, 2019

Review: Courtside Crush (Varsity Girlfriends #1) by Kayla Tirrell

Book Blurb:

So much for senior year being the best part of high school.

It all started when I caught my boyfriend cheating on me.

I did what any girl would do — I got revenge. Of course, it didn’t stop there. Thanks to a condemning video, I also got eight weeks of community service and athletic probation right before basketball season is supposed to start. (There goes my spot as captain!)

Thankfully, there’s a guy at Marlowe Junction’s Helping Hands who makes passing the time more enjoyable. He’s gorgeous, funny, and a huge basketball fan.

Too bad he’s also my brother’s biggest enemy…

Courtside Crush is a modern-day retelling of Romeo and Juliet, perfect for anyone who likes their sweet romance with a dash of drama. It is the first book in the Varsity Girlfriends series.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Retelling, Romance, Teen--

Ok I will admit now that I did not realize this was a modern day Romeo and Juliet retelling until I just saw the synopsis now. But it totally makes sense with the forbidden love at the two opposing schools, made worse by the feud between the boys. The book even used "Romeo" as a code name for the male love interest and random references were made throughout the book. I can easily say though that I liked Courtside Crush much better than I ever liked Romeo and Juliet and I highly recommend this as an audiobook since the narrator did a great job portraying Charlie's spunk as well as giving the side character's their own voices.

I will admit that I hate the fact that Charlie would not tell anyone the truth- instead she is willing to doing something terrible and debasing and hurt the feelings of a really nice person. I wanted to shake her and possibly throw an intervention because I knew how it was going to play out and nobody was going to win. I know that Charlie is a 17 year old girl but at times she seemed so immature with how she reacted to stress and drama. She was impulsive and a little reckless, acting on her instincts regardless of what she should actually do. I did like that she finally seemed to understand herself better near the end and that her action became more mature as she really took the time to think out her problems.

The side characters were really well developed as well, like her family dynamic, helping to make a well rounded story. Hands down, Jackson (aka the love interest aka Romeo) was my favorite character in the book overall. He was just a really great guy, so excepting and patient, willing to work around whatever crazy situation Charlie kept throwing out at him and defending her regardless of the crazy. Also Daria is the best friend a girl could ever ask for, helpful and forgiving- and full of rational advice that Charlie usually chooses not to listen too.

This was a cute, clean YA standalone romance that I would easily recommend to those who like retellings, headstrong female main characters and a sweet HEA- for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment