Saturday, August 18, 2018

Review: The Warrior Queen (The Hundredth Queen #4) by Emily R. King

Book Blurb:

In the final volume of The Hundredth Queen Series, Kalinda will risk everything to save the man she loves.

Kalinda has brought peace to the Tarachand Empire, at least for now. Bhutas no longer need to hide their gifts. The last of the rebels have been banished. And Prince Ashwin is set to take over as rajah.

But for Kalinda, this all came at a great loss. Her childhood home. Her best friend. The love of her life.

Deven is still trapped in the Void, although he is able to find his way to Kalinda each night. He has been lucky so far — mortals are not meant to last in the Void for long, and Deven has lasted longer than most. But when he doesn’t visit her one night, Kalinda knows that his luck has run out.

She will do whatever it takes to save the man she loves, even if it means convincing a god to guide her through the Void. Freeing a mortal from the Void is nearly impossible, but Kalinda has never let those odds stop her before…

Find out more about the series on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Heart-Wrenching, Historical, Romance, Royal-Court, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

Spoiler alert- do not read my review or The Warrior Queen if you have not read The Rogue Queen. You have been warned.

After the events of the last book, the kingdom is slowly being rebuilt and the opinions of Bhutas a delicate situation. Kalinda has a small joy in the fact that Deven visits her from the Void during the darkness of night. But each night his visits become less and he is diminishing, in both body and mind. Kalida realizes that she will do whatever she can to save Deven, even if it means going into the Void herself.

The thing I realized about Emily's books while reading this story was how immersive they are. I lost track of time because I became part of the story, completely enmeshed in the world and the character's struggles. Emily is able to create such a vivid description without being super verbose or over the top and it is exactly what I want. This was actually a pretty spooky story too, you know with the Void and its inhabitants and all, and the description of the world gave goosebumps. I do think the title of this book, The Warrior Queen was the best choice for this story too- it was non-stop action, adventure, battles- a whirlwind conclusion, with Kalinda being the warrior she always should have.

Hands down best part of the story is Kalinda's gift from Tinley and her grandmother. I was probably more excited about that than Kalinda, but she had a lot going on already so I forgive her. Where can I get myself one??

My favorite line in the book was:

"Brac blinks as he digests that feast of catastrophes. I pat his shoulder and dash out."

I just love how Emily strings her words together, this little passage was a perfect description of everything that this book was. Kalinda just powers on through, where another character may have broken or you know, given more of an explanation, she is ready to jump into the next disaster waiting for her, almost unfazed by the chaos her life is now.

This is the end, guys. After four books of action, love, danger, horror, sisterhood and battle, The Hundredth Queen has completed. At Emily's book launch party she mentioned the potential for a spin off and I would absolutely love that. Kalinda has had her story and battles and I am completely ok with her having a rest, but the side characters I have come to know and root for, I would love to know more (hint hint- Tinley or Brac!). Whatever comes next from Emily I know I will read because I love the worlds she brings to life. Oh and women warriors and fire dragons are also appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment