Thursday, August 9, 2018

Review: Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves #1) by Mary E. Pearson

Book Blurb:

A new novel in the New York Times–bestselling Remnant Chronicles universe, in which a reformed thief and the young leader of an outlaw dynasty lock wits in a battle that may cost them their lives—and their hearts.

When the patriarch of the Ballenger empire dies, his son, Jase, becomes its new leader. Even nearby kingdoms bow to the strength of this outlaw family, who have always governed by their own rules. But a new era looms on the horizon, set in motion by a young queen, which makes her the target of the dynasty's resentment and anger.

At the same time, Kazi, a legendary former street thief, is sent by the queen to investigate transgressions against the new settlements. When Kazi arrives in the forbidding land of the Ballengers, she learns that there is more to Jase than she thought. As unexpected events spiral out of their control, bringing them intimately together, they continue to play a cat and mouse game of false moves and motives in order to fulfill their own secret missions.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

---

---

---

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Heart-Wrenching, Romance, Royal-Court, Suspense, Teen--

My thoughts jumped, my own words taunting me, The thing about a mark is they’ve created lies in their head, a story they’ve invented that they desperately want to believe, a fantasy that merely needs to be fed.

Kazi grew up on the harsh streets, becoming a thief to survive- a dang good one, at that. But now, she was chosen by the Queen to be one her elite guards, but an impulsive move may coast her that. Kazi has the opportunity to redeem herself by going on a mission of importance for the Queen, the person who has so much undeserving faith in her. Jase has just lost his father and now became the ruler of his people, spending his first night as ruler wallowing in his grief and alcohol. When the two have an altercation in streets, they never anticipated being kidnapped by slavers. Banding together (both emotionally and literally by shackles- even though they are enemies- Kazi and Jase have to find their way home and to the truth of their people's conflict.

The world building was amazing and layered, with all the regions and wars as well as histories and people so lovingly craftes. I really wanted a map so I could place all the locations mentioned in the story physically since I am a visual person. This is a book that I would love a map for! And yes, this is a spin-off, but it was such a complete world, plot and characters that there was no need for previous books (but you should read the Remnant Chronicles because they are fantastic!). This was such the perfect blend of court politics and intrigue, betrayal, lies. adventure and feels!

Oh my gosh, Dance of Thieves ended up being so romantic! Seriously, I had no idea what this story was going to be like, but I knew I was going to read this new spin-off series because I enjoyed the Remnant Chronicles so much. Gah, it was so freaking romantic and hug worthy at times, I felt like I needed to swoon- or at least force Kazi to (so not her style though but appropriate for the situation, I think).

“I love you. I love you with every breath, with every thought that’s inside me . I’ve loved you from the first time I kissed you on that ledge. Even before that.”

I shook my head trying to pull away. “Jase, no—”

But he pulled me closer and didn’t stop. “When I asked, What is this? I already knew. I knew what I felt, what I was certain you felt, too, but I was afraid to say it, because it was all new to me. It seemed too soon, too impossible. But everything about us didn’t just feel right, it felt like something rare, something delicate that I was afraid of breaking. Something that only comes along once in a lifetime.”

I loved Kazi, but let's be honest- she may be a kleptomaniac. The girl did have an interesting habit of collecting the most random of trinkets of all varieties. Sure, she is a product of her upbringing, and you do what you need to to survive, but really she is a master thief. She has the most prickly of shells, but inside she was a lonely sad little girl. I loved her riddles, people maneuvering skills and her loyalty. The banter and love between Kazi and her 2 sisters in arms was perfect, you could see the love and bond between the girls and that they would gladly go into battle for each other, no questions asked.

Jase had such a strong moral compass that always pointed true- even though the morals of his people did not always line up with what other thought was right. I did really enjoy the dynamic between Jase and his family, you could see the love as well as the ruler boundaries that were probably hard to hold at times. He was just given a new, terrible and great responsibility yet he held up like a champ (for the most part). He was so caring towards Kazi, even though their purposes were at odds. (sniff sniff)

Ps I loved seeing "the Queen", who I know as Lia be her insightful, protective, queenly self. I will admit after the ending of The Beauty of Darkness, I was hoping for at least a little mention of a romantic connection with a certain wonderful guy, so the ending made my heart ever so happy...

“Do you suppose,” he finally whispered, “that this could be part of making … the best of it?”

...

I was as loyal to her as he was to his family, and I would betray him when the time came. I would bring his family and dynasty to their knees.

His world was about to end.

The best of it.

We were only making the best of it.

For now.

The story felt magical and epic and I never wanted it to end. But as per all of Mary's books, the heartbreak and betrayal was strong too. There were moments where I thought my heart was ripped out of my chest, all I hoped for was a HEA...that may not be how this story ends. That last chapter though! I seriously do not know how such a beautiful and real moment could fall apart into such utter heart-wrenching chaos. Sorry for all the words, but I feel like I have a lot to say when it comes to my love of this book, this author and this world. I am so tied in knots, wanting to know where the story will go next. There is no doubt that I will be picking up the next leg of the adventure in this duology as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment