Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Review: Personal Demons (Personal Demons) by Rachel A. Collett

Book Blurb:

“YOU ARE A FOOL. I SHOULD TERMINATE YOU NOW TO SAVE YOU THE TROUBLE OF DYING LATER.”

Deadly with a knife and skilled in hand-to-hand combat, nineteen-year-old Sarah Mathis is far from normal, despite her efforts to be so. Trained from youth to battle the paranoid imaginations of her father, she pushes into society after a lifetime of isolation, only to learn that a supernatural adversary wants her hidden… or dead.

When her best friend dies in a horrible crash, Sarah learns that the collision was triggered by a man named Jonathan, a deceptively handsome demon that now stalks her—in life and in her dreams. No longer just imaginary shadows, the agents of the supernatural realm target Sarah, compelling her to uncover the truth her father kept concealed. Sarah must accept her destiny as mankind’s Defender and defeat her personal demon before he destroys her soul and everything she loves.

Learn more about the book on Goodreads and pick up a copy from Amazon

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Angels, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense--

Sarah has never fit in, always moving place to place with no friends, only her protective father to keep her company. So when she met and clicked with Ian, she finally knew what she was missing- that is until he was taken away from her in a car accident. ​Ian's death ended up causing Sarah to questions everything about her life, her life that has been full of secrets, lies and vivid dreams that seem more real than dream like. When Ian comes to visit her in a dream, he tells her that it is time for her to learn who she really is.

​This was a cover and title love for me- yep, I was drawn in by the gorgeous cover and the illusive title, wanting to read it before I had even read the synopsis. This was very much a slow burn book that takes a lot of patience to get through. The reader is dropped right into the story, trying to catch up with what is going on as well as who Sarah is and the relationship dynamic. I think that the typical reader looking for some action or excitement will probably not enjoy this story. There were so many times in the first 100 pages where I debated with myself the merits of continuing the story that at times felt so confusing and uneventful. (I have this problem where I have to finish a book even when I don't like it- it's a sickness, but I am no quitter!)

I will admit that I pretty much had no idea what was going on, and sure, a good book can lure you in and do some world building along the way, but there needs to be a little bit more than that​ to keep me invested. There was pretty much no plot that I saw in the first 100 pages, just little hints of bread crumbs that the main character Sarah has lots of big, dark secrets in her past that even she doesn't know. I also had a hard time getting to know Sarah (except she has great taste in classic books) since it seemed like she did not really know herself either. The story did end up becoming more interesting in the second half of the 249 page book and completely unique to any other story that battles good vs. evil. But you just need to keep reading to get to it.

I am voluntarily reviewing a complimentary copy of this title.

No comments:

Post a Comment