Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Review: Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega #5) by Patricia Briggs

Book Blurb:

In her bestselling Alpha and Omega series, Patricia Briggs "spins tales of werewolves, coyote shifters, and magic and, my, does she do it well" (USATODAY.com).

Now mated werewolves Charles Cornick and Anna Latham face a threat like no other--one that lurks too close to home...

They are the wild and the broken. The werewolves too damaged to live safely among their own kind. For their own good, they have been exiled to the outskirts of Aspen Creek, Montana. Close enough to the Marrok's pack to have its support; far enough away to not cause any harm.

With their Alpha out of the country, Charles and Anna are on call when an SOS comes in from the fae mate of one such wildling. Heading into the mountainous wilderness, they interrupt the abduction of the wolf--but can't stop blood from being shed. Now Charles and Anna must use their skills--his as enforcer, hers as peacemaker--to track down the attackers, reopening a painful chapter in the past that springs from the darkest magic of the witchborn...

Learn more about the book on Goodreads and grab a copy from Amazon

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Faeries, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves, Witches--

The Marrock, aka Bran, leaves to help rescue Mercy, Charles and Anna are left in charge. While in charge of the most terrifying and powerful pack in North America, they are tasked with keeping up with the Wildlings, the old, powerful and pretty crazy wolves that nobody else will interact with. While their care, wildling Ester is murdered, most likely due to a traitor in the pack. Charles and Anna struggle to find who is behind the attack on the pack, where Bran really is and what this means for their people.

​There will never be a bad thing said by me about this series, this world, or about Patricia. When ever I pick up a book in this series I know that I will not be disappointed. Not only is this a Werewolf story (with the power of the mate bond!), but an Urban Fantasy (the best kind) and a murder mystery- all three my favorite types of genres rolled into a convenient book shaped package. ​The urban fantasy elements are spot on, dealing with the politics of the world as well as the inter-species relations, making everything so deliciously complicated. And the mystery kept me on my toes, the villain a complete surprise and pretty scary.

​This is not even a little bit a standalone book so I highly recommend you don't try- pick up all the books in the series (and the Mercy books because I heart her and Adam) before jumping in to this one. I am such a huge fan girl of the Mercedes Thompson World, be it a Mercy book or an Anna and Charles book, and this was no exception. This was a fabulous read, full of action, werewolf politics, mate-bond interaction, Brother Wolf communication and the overall witty writing style of Patricia. I think this is so far my favorite Anna and Charles book and I can't wait to get my grabby hands on more books in this world.

I love how Patricia is always able to insert humor, sarcasm and wit into the most dire of situations​ helping to break the tension, danger, death and the horror that live within the pages. I am also a super fan of anything dealing with Native American culture and there were parts of myth and magic intertwined in the plot from Charles background.

Can we just take a minute to mention the tidbit about Bran and his feelings towards Mercy that Anna brought to the surface?? I am freaking out about that and it makes me wonder if it will come to a head in a later book. I would probably give my imaginary first born child for the chance to read a book told from Bran's point of view because that man is the definition of an enigma and color me intrigued. Oh and the Leah insight was completely surprising and made me like her just a little bit more.

I loved this book, I thought it was a stronger plot than the last one which was good too don't get me wrong, but this was so fast paced there was no time to catch your breath and I was so sucked up in it. This is a must read!

No comments:

Post a Comment