Thursday, December 21, 2017

Review: Lifeblood (Everlife #2) by Gena Showalter

Book Blurb:

My Firstlife is over, but my Everlife is only now beginning.

With her last living breath, Tenley "Ten" Lockwood made her choice and picked her realm in the Everlife. Now, as the war between Troika and Myriad rages, she must face the consequences.

Because Ten possesses a rare supernatural ability to absorb and share light, the Powers That Be have the highest expectations for her future—and the enemy wants her neutralized. Fighting to save her Secondlife, she must learn about her realm from the ground up while launching her first mission: convincing a select group of humans to join her side before they die. No pressure, right?

But Ten's competition is Killian, the boy she can't forget—the one who gave up everything for her happiness. He has only one shot at redemption: beating Ten at a game she's never even played. As their throw-downs heat up, so do their undeniable feelings, and soon, Ten will have to make another choice. Love…or victory.

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

Tenley experienced an unexpected betrayal at the end of the first book, causing her first-death and her choice to enter the Light seeking realm of Troika. Which meant leaving behind her love Killian, a Myriad through and through. Troika believes that Ten is one of their prized conduits, a powerful soldier needed to end the war between the realms. Ten is not convinced she is who they believe she is, but she will give it her all to try and make them believe she fits in and deserves to be there. But this was never an easy battle, and Ten's war is just beginning.

Disclaimer- This is not a standalone, but the second in a complicated series. Lifeblood picks up almost exactly where book 1, Firstlife ends, so I highly recommend that the series be read in order. I really enjoyed Lifeblood. I was a little leery when I started the book since it had been a year and some change since I had read the first book and I was not positive that I would be able to remember all the world and character details I needed to fully enjoy this chapter of the story. But I was pleased that within a chapter or two I was caught up (but not in an info dumping kind of way, more like the backstory came back to me as the small details were discussed) and ready to face another battle.

I love that Ten still had her obsessive compulsion for numbers and relating them to the world around her to help her make sense of things (and I am glad her random burst of poetry were kept to a minimum because they just made me feel awkward for her). It is an endearing quirk that made her an interesting character. Let's also mention how much freaking character development she endures in this sequel- she evolved so much as a person, becoming a true Troiken, using the ideals of her people to help guide her actions. The selfish needy girl of the past has gone, and in her place is a warrior of the light and I so wanted to cheer! I also really liked how she gave her trust to the person she loved the most (aka a certain Irish reformed bad boy) and she stayed true to her word- there was no angst over his actions or affections, she took his word, gave her trust and was resilient. Her forgiveness was sweet, even to those who she had every right to hate, and her heartbreaks were almost non-stop. Gah, my little Ten is all grown up!

Holy Batman, I flew through this 450ish pages book in just a few days- there was so much going on I didn't want to put it down and miss out! I was really into the level of action that Lifeblood had-never a dull moment, seriously. We went from one battle to the next, to training, secret missions, stolen moments, betrayals, crazy court system, deaths, rebirths... well, pretty much all kinds of activities and I loved every minute of it. Oh an ps, there was some intense (yet still pretty pg) stolen romance moments that made me want to swoon.

I have no idea what will happen next to Ten or the realms but I very much so look forward to the adventure.

** Read my review of Afterlife HERE**

No comments:

Post a Comment