Friday, November 24, 2017

Review: Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

Book Blurb:

There will be plenty of time for me to beat him soundly once I’ve gotten what I came for.

Sent on a mission to retrieve an ancient hidden map—the key to a legendary treasure trove—seventeen-year-old pirate captain Alosa deliberately allows herself to be captured by her enemies, giving her the perfect opportunity to search their ship.

More than a match for the ruthless pirate crew, Alosa has only one thing standing between her and the map: her captor, the unexpectedly clever and unfairly attractive first mate, Riden. But not to worry, for Alosa has a few tricks up her sleeve, and no lone pirate can stop the Daughter of the Pirate King.

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Historical, Mystery, Romance, Royal-Court, Suspense, Teen--

Alosa has carefully staged her capture at the hands of pirate captain Draxton, letting him think she is his unwilling prisoner. But in reality, she is on a mission for her father, the Pirate King?? to find a hidden piece of a map to a long lost place full of treasures, and a third of the map is somewhere with Draxton. What Alosa did not count on was Riden, the first mate, who drives her absolutely crazy...and she can't tell if she likes it or not, but he keeps getting in her way. But Alosa has some secret skills of her own to use and she is use to getting her way.

So you may not know this about me, but I lurv anything pirate. Since I was super young I sought out any movie, book, and decoration I could get my hands on to express my inner pirate- I even have house decorations with skulls and mention of wenches- my love knows no bounds (I may have attended a pirate party or two as well...). When I saw that there was a new author (who just so happens to be local and hysterical in person) coming out with a pirate book, I knew I was going to read it. I promptly purchased it and put it on a shelf of honor...with the best on intentions to read it asap. As time passed and I had not read it yet, all my bookish friends raved about it so I made the time to spend with my soon to be new pirate friends.

Yea for adding supernatural anything into these murky waters! You want to add magical elements and supernatural creatures to my pirate story? By all means add away! I loved how this world included myths and fantastical elements of sea creatures, as well as superstitions and pirate lore. It blended so well together to help the characters as well as the plot develop.

There was also a romance which I enjoyed watching unfold through naughty pirate (not that naughty- I meant drinking, snooping and sword fights!) acts and sarcastic banter and her love interest Riden is seriously the best of guys (for a pirate!...ok, actually he is kind of a terrible pirate but a great guy). I look forward to seeing how their relationship will progress with his insider knowledge about Alosa...and what she is capable of.

Happily, this was just the start of my nautical adventures with Alosa and her crew (I love that she has a pretty much all girl crew- go girl power!). The ending was not quite a cliffhanger, but instead one mission ended just to gear up for the greater journey to come and I am excited to see what dangers and sauciness I will encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment