Sunday, August 20, 2017

Review: Northwoods Magic (Northwoods Fairy Tales #1) by Desiree Lafawn

Book Blurb:

Quinn Reynolds is desperate for answers. After a near fatal accident, Quinn’s life changes and she is suddenly plagued by dreams of ravens, magic, and a boy with copper-ringed eyes. Told by her doctors that she is delusional, Quinn travels to the Northwoods of Minnesota to find out the truth. But Quinn has another problem that she hasn’t shared. Not only does she dream of magic, she also possesses her own power as well and it scares the hell out of her.

Corbin Olsen has been battling his own demons for the last ten years. After sacrificing everything to save Quinn’s life, she forgot about him completely. He’s thought of her constantly in the years she’s been gone, but nothing prepared him for the woman she has become. Although angry at her for leaving him, Corbin isn’t able to dismiss his need for her.

But Corbin and Quinn are running out of time for a meaningful reunion, the real evil is back and hunting the prey that escaped them all those years ago.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Fairytale, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural--

Quinn has spent her life being afraid and not fitting in, classified as mentally damaged from an accident when she was a teenager. After weaning herself off the many drugs she had been medicated with over the years, she realized she was not delusional, but instead they were memories she remembered, centering around a raven and a dark cloud before she was injured... and that is not even mentioning the explainable bond she seems to have with plants. Quinn decides to leave the comfort of her quiet apartment to venture to the cabin she vaguely remembers from when her accident occurred to try and discover the truth. But she never expected what she finds, or the damaged man she left behind...who use to be a raven.

This is the first book I have read about the Green Man, but I have always loved the idea of him. Usually he is pictured (at least to me) as a literal green man, maybe part leaf/plant, but in this story he appears as an old man. In case you are not familiar with the Green Man, He is a Celtic deity that is represented by a statue of a carved man's covered with leaves that is the representative of fertility and rebirth as seen by plants, usually the protector of life. I have always been drawn to the statues, thinking they are gorgeous and lovely and Fae are one of my favorite supernatural creatures, so when the story started with the Green Man in the woods I knew that I was about to read something new and right up my alley. This is called a fairytale so I was expecting a retelling of something familiar, but this was not at all something I had encountered before, which I am pretty sure makes it a new type of fairytale, dealing with Fae, magic and monsters.

At the heart of this book is a love story, sure it is not of the traditional sense of a love story, with a seemingly unhinged girl who has plants at her beck and call and an angry man who was born a raven, but still the whole basis of the book was romance. And boy, let me tell you, there was a very steamy scene in the story that I had not been expecting from two inexperienced people. I thought all the characters in the story were interesting and I liked that the story was narrated by Quinn and Corbin view points. Quinn was convinced she was broken and not worth anyone's love, willing to be alone forever if that was what it cost, but to be honest her self-sacrificing attitude made me want to shake her a little. She most certainly came into her own as a person and as a power, which I appreciated. Corbin had my heart from the first moment her cooked for Quinn, the level of devotion and hope he felt towards her was swoon-worthy and the consensus is that he is a keeper. I was a little bit miffed at how fast their relationship developed, seriously in less than 24 hours with no real info, more a bond that could not be fought, which is ok but I wanted a little bit more time for them to grow to love each other for real.

The book itself was a very short, quick read that I blew through in an afternoon. I would have easily enjoyed a longer book because the world was interesting and there were so many questions that were left over, but the ending showed that this is just the beginning of the adventure in the Northwoods and I look forward to the next book.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment