Monday, July 10, 2017

Review: Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back #1) by A.V. Geiger

Book Blurb:

Tessa Hart’s world feels very small. Confined to her bedroom with agoraphobia, her one escape is the online fandom for pop sensation Eric Thorn. When he tweets to his fans, it’s like his speaking directly to her…

Eric Thorn is frightened by his obsessive fans. They take their devotion way too far. It doesn’t help that his PR team keeps posting to encourage their fantasies.

When a fellow pop star is murdered at the hands of a fan, Eric knows he has to do something to shatter his online image fast—like take down one of his top Twitter followers. But Eric’s plan to troll @TessaHeartsEric unexpectedly evolves into an online relationship deeper than either could have imagined. And when the two arrange to meet IRL, what should have made for the world’s best episode of Catfish takes a deadly turn…

Told through tweets, direct messages, and police transcripts.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Romance, Teen--

Tessa has spent the last few months locked in her room, agoraphobia ruling her life after an incident she refuses to speak of, her only interactions with her therapist, mother and distant boyfriend. When her therapist encourages her to use social media to reach out to others, Tessa publishes some fan-fiction on Twitter about a popular pop star, Eric Thorn. Tessa is shocked to find she now has thousands of followers and is an important part of this world. On the other end is Eric, a jaded, paranoid popstar who regrets his fame and wants nothing more than to be loved for his music and himself, not the shirtless pictures his fans desire. When he creates an anonymous account to try and lash out at his fans, he in return is given compassion in the last place he expects. Can two lost people find each other through the world of social media? And can they both survive?

Oh my geez, this book was not at all what I expected it to be (and I mean that in the best way possible). Let's just start with how eye catching and creepy the cover is because that certainly played a role in luring me in to begin with. Based on the synopsis I thought this would be a super dark obsession mystery told completely through police reports and such, but instead this was a completely engaging, slowly developed romance with hints of mystery and paranoia and a huge surprise twist. I had no idea this was the first in a series until after I finished the book and came to the crazy ending. This review will be kind of short because I don’t want to give anything away, but what I can for certain say is firstly, I flew through the pages, surprised to find myself at the end without meaning to because I could not put it down, and secondly I will be reading more from this series and author because this was some good messed up story (which I do just so happen to like). The ending! Oh how I was shocked by the ending! Can I have the next book now because I don't even know how to go on...

Half the time I was reading I was waiting for the other shoe to drop (as they say) my expectations most certainly increasing my tension level. I got to the point where I was super paranoid for Eric (and myself- Twitter has a whole new feel to it now!), expecting something to happen at every moment, and then relaxing my guard just to have some creepy thing thrown out in the story. The author created the best kind of tension, making me feel the paranoia and all the other built up fear that Eric stored away. The story was nothing like I expected, but I most certainly could never have expected this. I guess the best way to classify this book would be teen mystery, but this was so complicated and in depth with developed characters that it could probably be a romance too, I guess. If you want something that can grab you and not let go until you are throw off the ledge, pick this book up and don’t make plans but to read because you won’t want to put it down. Oh and the title could not have been more perfect.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment