Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Review: You Don't Know My Name (The Black Angel Chronicles #1) by Kristen Orlando

Book Blurb:

Fighter. Faker. Student. Spy.

Seventeen-year-old Reagan Elizabeth Hillis is used to changing identities overnight, lying to every friend she’s ever had, and pushing away anyone who gets too close. Trained in mortal combat and weaponry her entire life, Reagan is expected to follow in her parents’ footsteps and join the ranks of the most powerful top-secret agency in the world, the Black Angels. Falling in love with the boy next door was never part of the plan. Now Reagan must decide: Will she use her incredible talents and lead the dangerous life she was born into, or throw it all away to follow her heart and embrace the normal life she’s always wanted? And does she even have a choice?

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Teen--

Reagan has trained her whole life to be part of the Black Angels, a highly trained secret CIA task force who does the most needed and dangerous of mission, which her parents are members of. But now that her senior year is almost over, and she actually has friends since they have not moved recently, Reagan is uncertain if she wants the life that her parents have trained her for. What is she wants to go to college and be just a regular girl? It doesn't help that the boy next door, Luke, is not only her best friend, but she may have deeper hidden feelings for him she can't give into. But when strange things start occurring and her parents leave for a new mission, Reagan realizes that she needs to step up to what she was meant to do.

I had been wanting to read this book for forever because I am in love with the idea of a teen trained for years to be a spy, the covert life, danger and mystery surrounding it. When I finally had the chance to read it, I found myself instantly engaged in the book. This was such a fast read I flew through the pages, not even realizing that time had passed by until I was at the last stressful chapter of the story. And FYI, this is the first in a series, the story sets up for what is to come, so don't expect a resolution (or a happy ever after- this is not that book).

of normalcy, but told she can't have it. Her parents (in my opinion) sucked- sure they helped the country, and did important things, but never spent time with their daughter except to train her- never to talk to her or get to know her. Their expectations were substantial, and I can't imagine how anyone could live up to them.

And yes, there was a smidgen of romance (which makes me happy) but it in no way was the focus of the story (which was also nice). Luke is the boy next door, the only person Reagan can be almost herself with. He is an army brat who dreams of following in his father's footsteps to join the military after graduation. It is a kind of bittersweet romance because Reagan knows it can't be, she can't have attachments, but boy is it hard to keep away. I loved Luke, I'm just going to lay that out. The boy knows how to keep his cool in a tough situation, as well as the fact he has an open mind and a healthy dose of respect for Reagan.

Overall I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to the next step in Reagan's life. There are so many questions that I want to have answered that there is no way that I will not read the second book (which hopefully comes out soon!). The one issue I had was how fast the ending occurred- there was all this building up for like a chapter (an incredibly stressful chapter, but still super fast) and the book ended. I understand there will be more to come, but I wanted a little more from this event, but that is just a little nitpicky thing that probably only I had issues with. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants an action book with a strong, competent female character who tries to fight for what is right.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment