Saturday, May 20, 2017

Review: Missing by Kelley Armstrong

Book Blurb:

The only thing Winter Crane likes about Reeve’s End is that soon she’ll leave it. Like her best friend did. Like her sister did. Like most of the teens born in town have done. There’s nothing for them there but abandoned mines and empty futures. They’re better off taking a chance elsewhere.

The only thing Winter will miss is the woods. Her only refuge. At least it was. Until the day she found Lennon left for dead, bleeding in a tree.

But now Lennon is gone too. And he has Winter questioning what she once thought was true. What if nobody left at all? What if they’re all missing?

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Suspense, Teen--

Winter just wants to get good grades, stay out of her alcoholic father's reach, work for the town doctor, and get as far away from her small town as possible once she finished senior year. But when she finds a shoe in the woods, she knows she needs to find the owner of the shoe. And when she does, she didn't expect to have to save the boy's life. Between the wild dog chasing her, to the mysterious follower, danger is all around. Winter has stumbled into the middle of something that may cost her her life.

OMG, this book was so freaking suspenseful! I thought I would start the book and read a chapter or two before bed, but next thing I knew, it was hours later and I was half way through, totally caught up in the story and on the edge of my seat from the tension. I had no idea what would happen next and I was so wrapped up in the story. Armstrong writes amazing characters who are so real that you can't help but root for them and most importantly, empathize. This was the perfect suspense filled mystery.

Jude reminds me a lot of Derek from the Summoning series by Armstrong, and I mean that in the best way possible because I lurv Derek. Jude is this strong silent type, who is not capable of nonsense, only the truth and is aware of darkness that he potentially has but does everything possible to make sure he does not hurt those around him. ​Once he accepts you into his trust, he will do whatever is necessary to make sure you are safe. I felt warm fuzzies for him for the first time when he interfered in the fight between Winter and her father, using his logic and calm to get her out of a dangerous situation. Actually now that I think about it, the entire Jude-Winter-Lennon dynamic feels like the Summoning, with both boys interested in Winter, one charismatic and fun, the other serious and feels undeserving. I like the dynamic, so no complaints from me, just a random observation.

The reason I only gave the book 4.5 stars instead of the normal 5 stars that I give everything Kelley Armstrong writes is because the ending felt a little rushed and a little too easy. The book was like a 300 hundred page lead up, full of suspense, heart stopping danger, unexpected twists and creepiness, but then the ending happened. I felt a little let down, like this amount of tension and edge of the seat commitment by me should have had a little more to the ending. No, this does not make this a bad book, and as my 4.5 stars indicates I liked the book a LOT, I just wanted a little bit more. Keep in mind, the ending was good, this is a standalone story with no loose ends, and it was a great read, I am just a needy reader.

I will read anything Ms. Armstrong writes, as everyone knows at this point, and this was a really engaging teen mystery, with a dash of romance sprinkled in (yes, only a dash, most of the book was dark and eerie, with murder and potential death as the topics). I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a thriller/mystery to keep you up all night.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment