Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Review: Wickedly They Come by Cathrina Constantine

Book Blurb:

A gripping, dark fantasy!

A Destined Prophecy: “The White Warrior will be one with Lucifer and God will weep.”

Haunting visions and supernatural talents are the norm for the sixteen-year-old warrior, Jordan and her mother Seeley. Together with their formidable angels they find themselves in peril when a wicked sorcerer is determined to fulfill the prophecy to his lord, Lucifer.

After an ominous vision of spirits inhabiting teenagers in a local school, Jordan enrolls in the social culture of teendom at Elma High to combat soulless demons. She encounters Mark, a mysterious new classmate, who is hell bent on keeping her unscathed from the forces of evil.

The battle between Heaven and Hell is escalating—and Earth is their battleground.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Angels, Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense, Teen--

Seelie and her husband Jack both have extrasensory powers, but when a satanic cult comes after them for revenge, they will do anything to protect their young daughter Jordan. Jack ends up losing his life, and Seelie and Jordan escape to try and live a simple life in a small town, away from all cult ties. But it is hard to pretend to be normal when you have psychic powers, you see and interact with your guardian angels and a cult leader is after your soul.​

The narrator did a good job of keeping me engaged in the story, without lulls in my attention. Seelie and Jordan are both the main characters in the book and the narrator was able to give them characters and personalities to make them stand out from each other and the side characters. There were a few moments that I was confused as to what was going on with the plot of the book, but I am not sure if that would be from the writing or the narrator though. Her overall performance I liked and I would listen to her narrate more in the future.

The story was dark, interesting and incredibly convoluted, but I mean that in a good way. I honestly had no idea what twists and turns the story would take next when it came to the mysteries of the cult, the teens or the supernatural war. The book ended with me having so many questions and concerns for the characters that I randomly find myself thinking of what happens next to them as if they are real people. And Marcus...I was hoping for some romance there, but at the same time I knew it was forbidden...I am so confused as to what I want to happen (ok, that is a lie, I totally want a forbidden romance!) I did want to know more about Jack and how he became part of the cult, his original intentions and more of the back story, but maybe the next book will have more info for me.

Overall, I found this to be the first in an interesting urban fantasy-ish series about the battle between Angels and Demons and the gifted humans that get stuck between them.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment