Thursday, March 30, 2017

Review: The Gift by Louise Jensen

Book Blurb:

The perfect daughter. The perfect girlfriend. The perfect murder?

Jenna is given another shot at life when she receives a donor heart from a girl called Callie.Eternally grateful to Callie and her family, Jenna gets closer to them, but she soon discovers that Callie's perfect family is hiding some very dark secrets ...

Callie's parents are grieving, yet Jenna knows they're only telling her half the story. Where is Callie's sister Sophie? She's been 'abroad' since her sister's death but something about her absence doesn't add up. And when Jenna meets Callie's boyfriend Nathan, she makes a shocking discovery.

Jenna knows that Callie didn't die in an accident. But how did she die? Jenna is determined to discover the truth but it could cost her everything; her loved ones, her sanity, even her life.

My Review:

2 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural, Suspense--

Jenna's cold ended up being more serious than she could ever have imagined, causing her heart to become irreparably damaged. While on the verge of death, she received a heart transplant from an anonymous donor. Jenna ends up becoming obsessed with finding out about her donor and the donor's family, against the advisement of the hospital and her family. When she discovers who her heart came from and gets a chance to meet the girl's parents, she jumps at the chance. But something more is going on here, and Jenna is now involved.

This is a mystery (even though it was not very surprising to me) so I will make this review fairly short so as not to give anything away for others. I went into this story with pretty high expectations because I love mysteries, I love the (creepy) idea of residual feelings/motivations that a donor receives from a transplant, be it a limb or organ, and here are the two topics joined in one convenient package. Overall, I just thought this book was ok. And it is probably just me, because I was reading the reviews on Goodreads and a ton of people raved about the book, so let me just say that this book was not for me.

I could not connect with Jenna and I thought most of the choices she made were stupid; I did not really care what happened either because I was just not engaged with the book. I thought the mystery aspect was unexpected, so that was nice, but not enough for me to like the book. I know others will though so give it a try if you want a slightly paranormal mystery story.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment