Sunday, February 12, 2017

Review and Author Interview: There's Something About Nik by Sara Hantz

Book Blurb:

Nik Gustafsson has a secret: He’s not really Nik Gustafsson.

He’s not a spy. He’s not crazy.

He’s just the son and heir to one of the most important families in Europe—one where duty always comes first. And his posh, too-public life is suffocating him. So when he gets the chance to attend boarding school in America, pretending to be an average exchange student is too big of a temptation to pass up.

Then he literally runs into Amber on campus. And she hates him at first sight.

It’s kind of exhilarating to be hated for who he is, not for his family name or his wealth. Maybe if he turns up the charm and turns down the aloof mask he habitually wears, he can win her over. Even though a bad past experience has made her swear off dating this year.

But the more he gets to know her, the more uncomfortable he is keeping things from her.

Because Nik Gustafsson has a secret. And it’s a big one.

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains a hot boy who's the strong and silent type, a studious girl who refuses to believe in fairy-tale romance, and one epic secret that could be disastrous if it comes to light.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Royal-Court, Teen--

Nik is a prince of Lutgenstadt, a small European contry where his life is very structured and his life is planned out. When given the opportunity, Nik jumps at the chance to go to an American Boarding School with his best friend Josh. The only catch is that he has to use a fake identity so nobody will know who he is. Well, Amber makes it hard for Nik to keep up his lies. Amber has had her own fare share of past heartache and betrayal so she knows that Nik is not telling her everything. When an accident causes trouble for both of them, and secrets are revealed, can their new relationship stand up to the problems?

I knew I had to read this book when I first came across it predominantly since I love the concept of royalty finding love with a commoner. I mean seriously, I could easily watch the movie "Ever After" and the modern version "The Prince and Me" on repeat and be happy. The concept appeals to the inner romantic in me who is usually kept on a short leash. This was a really cute, feel good story about two people who learn to trust each other and find love despite their differences. I seriously blew through this book in one sitting, the story and the writing flowed smoothly and the characters were cute enough to keep me engaged. At times things were either a little too easily resolved, and other times a crisis arose from nothing, but I think that is probably very realistic to being a teenager.

Amber is a very driven character, who knows what she wants from life and how to get it. I loved the dynamic between Amber and her best friend Lauren, how they knew each other so well regardless of what was said, sticking through illness and heartbreak, making them more like sisters. Oh and the fact that Lauren and Josh had a thing going on made it even cuter since they wanted friends to double date with. Nik on the other hand was trying to be someone not at all like himself, he wanted to blend in and experience a regular life without the rules and pressure. I appreciated the hostility between the two characters and kinda sorta wished that the story was longer to draw that out more and then the slow build of a positive relationship that would come next.

Overall this was a really cute, short read that I can see lots of people enjoying it. There indeed was a happily ever after here which made me happy to experience right along with the characters.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

SBS: Last book you read?

Sara: The last book I read was The Rule Book by Jennifer Blackwood. It’s my first book by her and I’ll definitely be reading her books again.

SBS: Comedy, romance or drama?

Sara: It’s a romantic comedy about a girl who becomes the second assistant to the CEO of a social media company and her rules for survival.

SBS: If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

Sara: I’m a bit of a travel junkie. I moved from the UK to New Zealand, then moved to Australia and have recently moved back to New Zealand. There are so many other countries/places I’d like to visit. Especially: New York, Canada, Switzerland, Croatia, New Caledonia……..

SBS: If given the opportunity, would you want to be royalty?

Sara: 100% not. I couldn’t stand everything I did being scrutinized.

SBS: Are your characters based on people in your life?

Sara: No they’re not. I’ve never used people in my life for characters because I find it too constraining. I much prefer starting with a clean slate.

SBS: Favorite quote?

Sara: “The secret of success is to do it now.” This is something I try to live by, especially when I’m faced with many deadlines.

SBS: Favorite thing about being an author?

Sara: I love that I can sit at my computer making things up while dressed in track pants.

SBS: Book that had the biggest impact on your life?

Sara: This is a tricky question because there have been many. The classics like Little Women, Heidi, Ballet Shoes all cemented in me a love of reading. When I was older Pride and Prejudice made a huge impact.

SBS: Last movie you saw?

Sara: La La Land. I loved it. I’m a total musical freak so it hooked me from the start.

SBS: Who do you fangirl over?

Sara: Meryl Streep. I love her acting. I love how she says it like it is. I love everything about her.

Author Bio:

Sara Hantz has been a prolific reader all her life, but it wasn't until she was an adult that she got the writing bug. She writes contemporary adult and young adult fiction and her debut book The Second Virginity of Suzy Green made the prestigious list 'New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age'. Sara lectured for many years before deciding to devote more time to her writing and working in the family hospitality business. She has two grown-up children and when not writing, working, or online with her friends, she spends more time than most people she knows watching TV - in fact if TV watching was an Olympic sport she'd win gold.

You can find her on Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter and her website

No comments:

Post a Comment