Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The Witchling Apprentice (The Skinwalkers' Witchling #1) by B. Kristin McMichael

Book Blurb:

Witches, potions, and magical spells—that all made sense, but men turning into animal-like monsters in the middle of the night? That had to be fiction, right? Wrong. Cassandra Booth thought her world of witches would be complete when she joined her coven. Fate didn’t plan to let that be the case for her. Joining the coven brings new knowledge, like mates and men as animals, all things Cassie would rather not know. As her plans unravel she must find a way to join the coven without committing her life to a guy she once was friends with and now hates.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Supernatural, Teen, Witches--

Cassie is counting down the days until she can join her coven and finally learn all the secrets she has been left out of. When an opportunity arises for her to take her witch test and she passes, everyone is surprised. But the truths that she was hoping to find are still hiding and without knowing it she is in the middle of it all.

This is my second book by this author, and an entirely new series (which now I want to finish the previous series because it was referenced vaguely in this book- no you don’t need to read any other books to enjoy this story FYI) As I expected, this was a very fast pretty short read. The author is able to create new fantastical worlds and magical creatures in a very short amount of time. I was able to blow through this book in an afternoon and now I need to pick up the other books in this trilogy to see how everything ends.

The story was narrated by Cassie, so the reader gets to try and figure out what is going on right along with her. I was a little miffed when other supernatural elements were revealed to her and she didn’t believe it, thinking it was an elaborate hoax by her friends. So… the practicing witch who has gone to help other magical creatures does not believe that skinwalkers exist? Yeah, I was not buying that. Finally, she came around, but I was surprised by her hesitation. If you told me, a totally normal, never seen magic ever about some people who shift into creatures, I would probably believe you (and no I’m not gullible but I have high hopes). Also, she gets a mate (no I am not being spoilery, it is mentioned in the synopsis) right off the bat that she has no interest in, but then there was like 4 other possible love interest thrown in the way so I can honestly say I don’t know what will happen in the love department (and yes I read the synopsis for both the other books in the series hoping to spoil things, but alas it didn’t).

There was a cliffhanger ending to this book as well as a lot of questions and potential danger Cassie is involved in. She was not my favorite character ever because I prefer girls who can save themselves, and she needed to be rescued A LOT, but I did love Whitney her bestie and Nate is very attractive… so I am interested to see how the series plays out.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment