Thursday, January 19, 2017

Review: Seeker (Seeker #1) by Arwen Elys Dayton

Book Blurb:

The night Quin Kincaid takes her Oath, she will become what she has trained to be her entire life. She will become a Seeker. This is her legacy, and it is an honor.

As a Seeker, Quin will fight beside her two closest companions, Shinobu and John, to protect the weak and the wronged. Together they will stand for light in a shadowy world.

And she’ll be with the boy she loves–who’s also her best friend. But the night Quin takes her Oath, everything changes.

Being a Seeker is not what she thought. Her family is not what she thought. Even the boy she loves is not who she thought. And now it’s too late to walk away.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Mystery, Supernatural, Teen--

Quinn, John and Shinobu have been training for this opportunity their whole lives, the chance to join the ranks of the honorable Seekers. But when their leader Briack denies John the chance to become one, he vows he will do whatever is necessary to right his secret family wrong. Quinn and Shinobu become Seekers, but it was nothing like they were told, leaving them broken as to the things they have participated in. The three started on the same Journey, but now have very different paths.

I will admit that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started reading this story. Well, let me tell you this was an epic ride that had its ups and downs but overall the story and plot was unique, the characters were very well flushed out and believable and ultimately I was left wanting more.

The book is split into 3 parts, each part a significant piece of the puzzle that led to the ending and the way the characters developed. I struggled for a long while trying to place the time/world the book is set in (is it a fantasy world, is it the past, is it the future?). I am pretty sure (like 70%) that this is a version of the current world, but with some slight alterations that could hint at the future. It was never very specific and that bothered me but not enough to stop reading.

The story narration alternates chapters between Quinn, Jon, Shinobu and the Young Dread. The author used different lengths such as a page or ten pages before switching perspective and always leaving you hanging, wanting to know what was happening with that character but instead going somewhere else. It was seriously the best way to get me to keep reading, using the “just one more” approach. The one thing all the teens have in common is that they are all broken, in different ways and varying degrees, but still broken. They were so developed and real, with flaws and redeeming factors, I felt like I knew them and what they would do. Even the character that I absolutely hated and considered the villain (nope not Briack who was the devil) had a terrible back story and I had empathy for how he fell so far off his path. Hands down, Shinobu is the best, regardless of his bad habits (and the superhero underwear scene was my favorite!).

I have been listening to this audiobook for forever (for at least 2 months which sometimes feels like forever) because it takes me a long time to listen to them since I only play them while in the car. I own a paperback of the book that is signed by the author, I have an ebook version which is my preferred reading format and I checked out the audiobook from the library which I absolutely love. The narrator did such an amazing job of creating characters and the descriptions that I have been fully involved in the story, whether its a five minute drive to work or a half hour jaunt, I kept seamlessly being placed right back in the middle. I will admit that the side effect of listening to the audiobook is the desire to speak in a Scottish accent.

I was pleased with the book, if not at times seriously frustrated (aka part 2!) but I enjoyed the book and look forward to finishing the trilogy, even though I question all the characters motives (except Shinobu) and have no idea what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment