Friday, December 30, 2016

Review: Fear Me, Fear Me Not (Gavert City #1) by Elodie Nowodazkij

Book Blurb:

SCREAM meets FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS in this new young adult romantic suspense novel by Elodie Nowodazkij.

Fear is power. They fear me. They don’t fear me enough. Every year a girl disappears in Gavert County, Texas. Their bodies are found days, sometimes months, later with an angel wing carved on their face. They call me “the Angel Killer” and I’m on the hunt again. But this time, it’s personal.

Seventeen-year-old cheerleader Erin Hortz has been warned about the Angel Killer all her life. She never walks alone in the dark. She doesn’t talk to strangers. She doesn’t accept drinks at parties. All she wants is to finish her senior year with a win at the Miss Junior Queen of Hearts pageant, capture the perfect light over the lake with her new camera, and finally catch the attention of her best friend Nadia’s brother—former football star Dimitri Kuklev. Since his injury, they’ve been spending a lot of time together. And getting to know the real Dimitri—not the one she put on a pedestal in her diary is better than she could ever have imagined. And she’s falling hard.

Nineteen-year-old Dimitri’s injury brought him from football superstar with universities from all around the country knocking at his door to not knowing what he wants to do with his life. Taking classes at the local community college is supposed to get him back on track, but all he wants is to be on the field again. The only person who seems to understand him is the one he swore to keep in the friend zone: Erin. His sister Nadia’s best friend and the reason why he can’t keep a girlfriend. Between their early morning jogs, their time spent at the lake laughing, and their late night conversations, he’s having a hard time remembering why it’s such a bad idea. But when Nadia doesn’t come home after a party, Dimitri and Erin know they must find her before it’s too late—even if that means risking their own lives and everything Erin’s ever known.

Because the main suspect is Erin’s father.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Suspense, Teen--

Every year another girl goes missing, just to be found 10 days later, dead and with angel wings carved into her face. This year, Rachel goes missing and everyone is involved in the search to find her before it is too late. But it seems the killer has upped his stakes, has become very unpredictable, and is much closer than anyone images. Who will be the next angel?

I have read the Broken Dreams series by this author and really enjoyed it so I knew I had to get my hands on this book when I stumbled across it. The author writes great characters that have so much personality and realism, it is as if I know them. Add her awesome characterizations to a suspenseful murder mystery plot that kept me guessing, and there was no way I would stay away from this book.

The story is dual narrated by Erin, the daughter of the man who has been the main suspect for years who tries to be so perfect, and Dimitri (can I say how much I love that name ever since I read Vampire Academy forever ago?), the wanna-be hero who does not feel that he is worthy. Interspersed between alternating chapters of the two main characters are short chapters inside the killers head, which shows how crazy he/she is. And yes, there is a romance between the two characters, something that has been building for years with tons of history and backstory that is hinted at as the book progresses. There did happen to be a lot of angst and back and forth between the characters that drove me a little batty, but I forgive them because of how sweet they were together.

I sped through this book, it was such a fast read for me. I was instantly engaged in the story and there was never a lag in my attention. There was some awful terrible things that happened in that book that broke my heart, but I still enjoyed each minute of the book. I can hands down say that this is now my favorite story by this author and I am honestly glad it is the first in a series so I can have more time with the characters.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment