Monday, November 14, 2016

Review: Love Me Never (Lovely Vicious #1) by Sara Wolf

Book Blurb:

Read the book that Kirkus Reviews called: "A complex, witty page-turner, ideal for YA fans of scandal and romance."

Don’t love your enemy. Declare war on him.

Seventeen-year-old Isis Blake hasn’t fallen in love in three years, nine weeks, and five days, and after what happened last time, she intends to keep it that way. Since then she’s lost eighty-five pounds, gotten four streaks of purple in her hair, and moved to Buttcrack-of-Nowhere, Ohio, to help her mom escape a bad relationship.

All the girls in her new school want one thing—Jack Hunter, the Ice Prince of East Summit High. Hot as an Armani ad, smart enough to get into Yale, and colder than the Arctic, Jack Hunter's never gone out with anyone. Sure, people have seen him downtown with beautiful women, but he's never given high school girls the time of day. Until Isis punches him in the face.

Jack’s met his match. Suddenly everything is a game.

The goal: Make the other beg for mercy.

The game board: East Summit High.

The reward: Something neither of them expected.

Previously published as Lovely Vicious, this fully revised and updated edition is full of romance, intrigue, and laugh-out-loud moments.

Find out more about the book on Goodreads

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Romance, Teen--

Isis is starting a new school in a new state for her senior year of high school with very little expectations about it going well. When at a party, one of the popular girls, Kayla, is actually nice to her which causes Isis to think that she may actually get a friend. When Kayla's crush (as well as every girl in the schools crush) Jack walks in and promptly insults said popular girl, Isis can’t help but to get involved. And by involved I mean punch the jerk right in the face. Which starts what can only be known as an epic battle between the two. Will there be a victor?

Can I just say how in love with this book I am in? I was not really sure what I was going to be reading when I picked it, and I had a very open mind about the story, but man this more than exceeded my expectations. Usually, my five star rating go to authors with series that I love, but this hands down gets my five stars. The story was so twisty and just when I felt like I got a handle on it; the rug was ripped out from under my feet. And the ending! Ugghh, the ending! The only way I was able to survive this book was that I had a copy of book 2 sitting in my lap waiting to be picked up after the devastation that was the ending. This is not the typical teen romance (I don’t even think I would call this a romance, but whatever), maybe just a teen fiction with a hint of a mystery and some great characters.

All the reviews that I read talk about how in love everyone is with Jack, and how great he was. Well, to be honest, I could have cared less about Jack. He is ok, but I could take him or leave him as a character. Please don’t hate me Jack fan club. I would have been fine with him as her friend, but I wanted her to be with someone sweet, like Wren (ha, or knife boy), just not Jack. I mean, he is the prickliest cactus ever, and I don’t recommend hugging them. Anyway, there were pieces of the book here and there that were narrated by him so the reader could get some insight, and he seems like an ok guy, but I am not sold on his appeal. I like the bad boy, don’t get me wrong, I just prefer my bad boy to actually be emotionally available…

The reason I loved this story so much is because Isis is amazing. I freaking love that girl. She is the most genuine person, loyal and stubborn and smart, yet so broken and self deprecating. At times I was ready to stage an intervention to show her how great she was. If she was real (and not 10ish years younger than me) I would like to think that we would be the best of friends. To my enjoyment, she forced her friendship on people and made them her friends, like knife boy, Wren and Kayla, without them even knowing it. Hands down my favorite thing about her was her over the top drama she inserted into every situation as well as the rambling commentary about nothing, and the spastic tangents that were accidentally said out loud. I found myself laughing aloud almost the entire book at her shenanigans (when I didn’t want to hug her). Honestly, Isis made the book for me. Sure the plot was good, but it would not have been the same without this crazy ball of energy.

In case my fan-girling was not enough of a giveaway, I really loved this book and would not change a thing about it. I apologize since this review feels like rambling tangent of my own (maybe Isis rubbed off on me) but this is how all over the place I am about this story. Set aside a chunk of time to read this book in, because it is very hard to put down. Like I said before, the ending is the worst so I recommend you have book 2 before even trying to read book 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment