Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Book Blurb:

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Teen--

Madeline has lived her 18 years inside her the environment created by her doctor mother to protect her from the outside world since she is sick. Anything can kill her, so she lives her world through books, movies and the internet. But when new neighbors move next door, she can’t help but be curious about them, especially the teen boy she can’t stop watching. Madeline knows that her world may not be enough for her anymore.

Can I just say that I saw this coming right from the get go. I actually expected it based on the fact that one of my favorite movies features a boy in a bubble, and nope, it’s not the depressing one with John Travolta. Anyway, I don’t want to be spoilerly any more than I already am, so I won’t say too much more on the subject. I though the book was cute, and I absolutely loved Olly (he was hands down the best part of the story for me, and Rosa too, but I digress). I don’t think I will ever think of bundt cakes the same. This was a really cute, emotional, character driven story that will appeal to anyone who likes teen angst and growing up stories that have happiness and heartbreak in them. There were a few moments where I had to suspend my belief, but I enjoyed the ride overall.

As a side note, I read the book on my ereader and I really think this is a story that would be better appreciated as an actual book so that all the fun little extras could better be viewed. The story has emails, drawings, ticket stubs, and tons of little things here and there that at times I could not read very well on my ereader and wished I could have the physical book to look at them better. Just my opinion, to each their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment