Thursday, October 27, 2016

Review: Unhidden (The Gatekeeper #1) by Dina Given

Book Blurb:

It’s not always easy to differentiate between the good guys and the bad guys, especially when your heroine is a trained killer and she may be falling in love with her evil hunter…

Emma Hayes, a former military Special Forces Operative turned mercenary-for-hire, finds her tightly controlled world turned upside down when she is attacked by horrible monsters.

Emma must use every skill in her arsenal to stay alive as she tries to solve the mystery of why she has been targeted. Her list of enemies keeps growing - from Zane Shayde, an evil Mage, to a secret branch of the US government - and she doesn't know if there is anyone left she can trust.

To complicate matters further, Emma is inexplicably drawn to Zane in a way she doesn’t quite understand, even knowing her life is forfeit if captured. Who is he and why does he have this affect on her? How can she fight a being that calls to her, body and soul?

Emma is left haunted by questions, doubts and fears as to why she has been targeted, when they will come for her next, and how she will possibly be able to survive against an enemy she doesn't understand.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Werewolves, Witches--

While on a mission in Mexico, Emma ends up experiencing things that have no explanation and being captured. After her team saves her, she tries to get back to her regular life, but has too many unanswered questions. She decides to try and find answers to the crazy surrounding her, but there are more questions that pop up. Can Emma survive to find the truth of the new reality she has been violently thrust into?

This was a non-stop urban fantasy adventure with an incredibly strong heroine. I was excited to read this book when I had read the synopsis, and then I researched it further on Goodreads and was overwhelmed by the positive reviews, so I knew I needed to pick this book up. I had no idea the complexity of the story that I was getting, with tons of different things going on. I feel like there was so much action, lots of new creatures/worlds and characters thrown at me that there was not too much in the way of character development or world building that happened. That is not really a negative thing, surprisingly from me, because I was too caught up in the non-stop battles and near death encounters to have any time to really want anything super in depth. I look forward to the next installment to get more intricate details.

Emma was a great female lead, capable and independent, pragmatic, willing to roll with the punches and pretty good in a crisis. I liked that she accepted help because she knew she would need it, instead of being resistant to it as an act of her abilities (or stupidity). I can’t wait until she learns more about herself and her world, and where her loyalties will end up being.

I will admit that I am madly in love with Zane. He is attractive, strong, talented, fierce, protective, loyal…and completely homicidally crazy. But nobody is perfect (and I do enjoy a dash of crazy here and there). It’s hard to know if he will lovingly embrace Emma or strangle her to death, maybe a 50/50 chance. I wish a happily ever after, but I have no idea what will happen for Zane. There are lots of other characters in the book, all interesting and complicated, and I enjoyed the mix of personalities and motivations.

This was a very fast paced first book that gave no time to question anything, instead jumped right into the action and bits and pieces were revealed as the story progressed. I look forward to the next book, which I am sure will be just as complicated as this one.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment