Saturday, October 22, 2016

Review: Charlaine Harris' Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris

Book Blurb:

The official graphic novel adaptation of Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris, the author of The Southern Vampire Mysteries!

Harper Connelly, a psychic capable of finding dead people and reading their last thoughts, discovers a grave in Memphis with two bodies: a man centuries dead, and a girl recently deceased. How the two bodies ended up together would be perplexing enough... but the sudden appearance of a third body the next morning makes this a mystery that perhaps even Connelly can't solve!

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural--

This is the graphic novel version of book 2 in the Harper Connelly series. I read the actual books and absolutely loved them, so I was excited to get my hands on this. It was really interesting to see Harper and Toliver, so much different looking than what I had pictured them while reading the novels. I honestly have no complaints about this, except maybe that now I need the graphic novel for book 1 and they had better make ones for book 3 and 4 or there may be a riot (of 1, but still a riot).

Everyone seems to know about the Sookie Stackhouse books and show, but I feel like this series is overlooked, even though in my humble opinion it is better (and one of my favorite series in general). I think the concept for the series is very unique, with a girl that was struck by lightning and can now find where dead people are buried (I do have another favorite series that is kinda sorta similar by Meg Cabot, but that girl found living people). Not only is it a great plot, but the characters are so incredibly complex and flawed and I can’t get enough of Harper and Toliver. I am sorry to sound like a fan girl, but I am completely. I liked this as a refresher to the actual books, but I think that this version stands alone for those who want to read it without having read the novels. But, this is book 2 in a series and yes the mystery is new, but the back-story and the characterizations build so I highly recommend reading them in order.

I really enjoyed this visual version of the story and can’t wait to get my hands on the other 3 as graphic novels. And now, Midnight Texas here I come. (If I had known Manfred was there I would have visited those books sooner!)

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment