Monday, September 19, 2016

Review: Twisted by Hannah Jayne

Book Blurb:

When her father is accused of being a serial killer, Bex becomes the ultimate bait in this game of cat and mouse

Bex is ready to start a new life in foster care. There, she won't be known as a serial killer's daughter. Though her father was never tried for the murders attributed to "The Wife Collector," he disappeared after questioning. And Bex struggles with the guilt that she provided the circumstantial evidence that convicted him in the public's perception—and drove him to abandon her.

But when a body turns up in her new hometown, all signs point to the Wife Collector. Bex's old life isn't ready to let her go. The police want to use Bex to lure in her father. But is she baiting a serial killer or endangering an innocent man?

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Teen--

Bex use to be Beth Anne, the daughter of a man thought to be the Wife Killer, a Serial Killer who has been on the run for the last 10 years. After the death of her grandmother, her only remaining relative, Bex goes into the foster care system. ​Bex lucked out with the nicest foster parents and a good school with friends, and the best part is that nobody knows her past. When Bex and her friends stumble across the body of a missing teen girl, all signs point to the Wife Killer. Is Bex's father back? Is he guilty? And most importantly, who will be the next victim?

I am always on the lookout for an awesome mystery where I am uncertain what is going on, who is guilty and can keep me on my toes. Honestly, I thought that this book was just ok. There were some awesome creepy moments and some total mind psych-outs, but there were also some things that I did not like about the book as well. I am a huge fan of the concept of the main character being related to a killer and either getting gifts (as in this book) from the victims or even helping the killer, or having a parent as a victim of the killer. Each scenario can bring a new dynamic, and I appreciated this approach where Bex is uncertain of her father’s guilt. Sure he ran, but wouldn’t an innocent person who was framed run too?

I liked how the story cast doubt on the killer’s identity. We see Bex’s father as she did, the loving man who cared for her and was ever so gentle. But then we see flashes of the past, in memories and news articles, as well as through other character’s eyes. I enjoyed the psychology the book used to show Bex that she did not know the truth, what was the truth? The story talks about a serial killer being a manipulator and a few people showed that quality, as well as a narcissist. I enjoyed watching the doubt about her father play in her mind, making me doubt as well. My favorite thing about the book was Bex’s foster parents and how easy going, loving, fun and supportive they were during the entire book. I was expecting some evil step-mother action but instead got the best result possible.

The things that I did not like about the book was the romantic relationship between Bex and Trevor. It was not even a little bit needed for the plot, and this is coming from someone who prefers to read a book with romance in it. I felt like the two did not really even know each other, spent no time together, yet he was calling her his girlfriend after a day and told her he loved her like a month later. I absolutely loved her friends and how fun and quirky they were, and they were crucial to the story, but I would have been fine if Trevor was left out, or at least not as intense as he was here. Seriously, based on how intense he was, I was expecting him to maybe probably be doing some stalking during the book.

Also, the ending was a little bit of a letdown. I won’t give too much detail so I don’t spoil anything, but the wrap up was really abrupt, things just magically happened and the book ends. There were so many things that I felt were left opened, like the girl Lauren being at her school to pretty much stalk her, the boy filming everything, and the reasoning behind the newest target (Out of all the girls possible, why this one, why now? Was it based on following Bex or a happy coincidence?) And as a random side note, I am pretty sure that foster parents are given a back history of the children they take in, so the fact she was keeping her past a secret from them was a little ridiculous (If a random girl following you knows your name and history, wouldn’t the people legally responsible for you?). Changing your name does not change what is in your case file.

Anywho, it was an ok book, I wished it had more of an ending, but I was attempting to figure out the killer, which kept me on my toes. I have read many teen mysteries form this author in the past and they have all been different and twisty, so I look forward to more from this author.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment