Sunday, September 18, 2016

Review: The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1) by Alison Goodman

Book Blurb:

New York Times bestseller Alison Goodman’s eagerly awaited new project: a Regency adventure starring a stylish and intrepid demon-hunter!

London, April 1812. On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Royal-Court, Supernatural--

Lady Helen is just coming of age and has so much on her plate already. She can read people’s faces and determine their feelings and intentions, something her aunt has instructed her not to do because it is so unbecoming in a lady. During her introduction to the Queen, Helen has a strange encounter with an intruiging man, a man who society treats as a pariah yet holds a high ranking. This one encounter turns into multiple strange things happening to Helen, things that she can’t explain. Desperate for answers, she finds herself in a dark world of danger and impropriety.

To be completely honest, I was so not engaged and very bored for the 100ish pages of this book. It was soooo slow, dealing more with etiquette and costuming and how to deal with the house staff, I was certain I had picked up the wrong book to read. But then finally, something happened and I was incredibly glad that I kept trudging along. Sure, the story was still heavy with clothing issues, marriage conniving, and social intricacies, but mixed in all that was an interesting darkness and intrigue that hooked me.

I was about 85% certain I knew what was going on when I had a fourth of the book left, but that didn’t deter my interest, instead I had a hard time putting it down because I wanted to know if I was correct. Well, I was not correct because the issue I was certain of never came up, instead the book went in a different direction that hints at what will come in the series. I wanted a happily ever after for Helen and a certain jerky lord (the passion between them was great, a mix of anger and lust/affection), but so many other issues would arise if I got my way. It was really obvious to me the identity of the Great Deceiver and I wanted to shout to Helen when I discovered it, which ultimately would have made me a crazy person.

My favorite relationship in the book was between Helen and Darby. It was a strange mix of loyalty, companionship, honesty and trust. I would say they were good friends, except for the fact servants and Ladies can’t be friends. I can't wait to see what mischief will arise for them next.

​I did not know that this was a series until I was almost finished with the story, so now I have to wait to see more into this world​ and what becomes of Helen and her hard choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment