Thursday, August 11, 2016

Review: Edge of Glory (Friendship, Texas #1) by Magan Vernon

Book Blurb:

"Welcome to Conti's. I'm Lia and I'll nguhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I froze. Directly facing me was Olympic swimmer, Jay Morningstar… and I just made an idiot of myself.

The rest of the table looked up to see me standing there with my mouth practically gaping. His coach, who I recognized from TV interviews, and even two other swimmers from the Olympic team... they didn't say anything, they didn't even blink.

"Uh… I mean…"

I couldn't even put together my words and Jay Morningstar was just staring at me with that Wheaties box smile and those icy blue eyes.

What was I supposed to say? Sorry I just made a weird noise, it's just that I have a poster of you on my wall where you are wearing nothing more than your gold medals, a smile, and a pair of man panties?

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Medals

Genre: New Adult--

Lia has fantasized about Olympic swimmer Jay Morningstar for years, even has his poster on her bedroom wall. So when he ends up in her family’s restaurant and shows Lia attention, she can’t believe it. Can a small town, no-experience girl be able to keep up and keep the attention of a gorgeous sought after Olympian?

I am all for anything having to do with swimmers, I am pretty sure they are one of my favorite topics. I was lucky enough to end up married to a man who spent the first 6 years of our relationship wearing pretty much only a Speedo since he was a swimmer, but I digress. Anyhow, I was excited to get my hands on a New Adult book that had a love interest in my absolute favorite sport. That being said, maybe my hopes were too high because I only found this book to be ok. It had some moments that I loved, but then it had times where the characters drove me insane or something so super awkward occurred that made me cringe for the characters (or just for Lia, actually).

This was a very character driven story, which I have no problem with since I love character development and introspection. Lia was a 20 year old woman who was treated like a 12 year old girl by everyone in her family, and she seemed ok with it. She had to ask permission to do almost everything and it blew my mind. Not only does she have no experience with anything remotely real life, but she was so harsh on herself, assumed the worst about everyone and that they thought the same about her. I wanted to shake her and have her care less about what everyone else wanted. Jay on the other hand was hard for me to pin down (haha I wish, that man was described as complete hotness). He was the sweetest accepting person ever, by asking her parents if they can date, the mix tape, the cooking date, the school tour… there were a lot of really sweet moments where he showed how much she meant to him. But then there were times where he was a complete tool and I wanted to smack him, which was pretty much the entire time set in California. I wasn’t sure why he was described so poorly when around his family/old friends and not the same sweet guy he originally was. Needless to say I was angry at his behavior and I wanted an apology for Lia, but instead he gets sexual gratification from her. Whatever…

This was not a bad book, and it seems like this was a big endeavor for the author to write and I applaud her determination (and the dedication was the most hysterical thing ever). I wanted to shake Lia a little bit at times and have her like herself more as well as accept adulthood, but I could not have asked for more from the ending of the story. That being said, read this if you want some romance with your swim, and I would like to read more form this author in the future.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment