Saturday, July 30, 2016

Review: Shadow Bloodlines (Shadow Bloodlines #1) by Andrea R. Cooper

Book Blurb:

I didn’t know I was a shifter until the hunters found me…

When eighteen-year-old Beth receives a mysterious text from her deadbeat father not to go to school, why should she listen to him now? But when strangers show up in one of her classes hunting her and wanting her dead, she must uncover the truth about why and what exactly she is.

Amar has been entombed in stone for centuries. He longs for freedom and only the blood of a shifter will set him free. After centuries frozen as a gargoyle, he doubts there are many of his kind left. Yet, Beth rescues him and more than his responsibility to protect her fills him. He must choose between duty and love.

Before the race of hunters capture her, Beth and Amar must find her shifter dad in order to save all their lives.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre:Supernatural, Teen, Werewolves--

When Beth received a text message from her father telling her not to go to school, she completely disregarded it. She has never met her father nor has ever communicated with him after he bailed on her mom when she was pregnant with Beth. But when she gets to school, strange things start happening, and she finds herself being hunted by strangers. Beth found herself in the middle of a war she could never have prepared for.

When I started the story, I had no idea what to expect or have any clue as to the direction the book would take. I found myself in an action packed supernatural world, learning about everything right along with Beth. When I say action, I mean it- the story pretty much starts with people chasing Beth and then one dangerous situation to the next, ending in another dangerous place. The pages flew by really quickly because the pacing of the plot was so engaging.

I can honestly say that I never read a book with a shifter octopus, the idea never crossed my mind so that came as a unique find. The entire shifter concept/world that the author created was really unique, where people do not really shift into their animals anymore due to species dilution with humans, but instead they retain the strengths and weakness of the animals, usually manifesting as a physic attack. Shifters have an animal as well as a totem/spirit animal, so every shifter is a mix of two. It was really out of the box in a world full of the same, I appreciated it.

There did not appear to be time for much character development in the story within the mix of villains and fast getaways. For the most part what I picked up was Beth loves the ocean, feels strong lust towards Amar, loves her bestie, feels betrayed over the life of lies, and is devastated over her recent loss/upheavals yet copes surprisingly well. I feel like everything was fairly surface with Beth as well as her friends/side characters when it came to emotions and personality. I usually need well developed characters to like a book, but I will let it slide this time in the face of the quick pacing and the hope that this will be the first in a series where more characterization can grow.

Overall this was a new, different kind of read/world, and I would love to have another adventure with these people (especially since practically nothing was resolved). I an interested to see what else the author has up her sleeve.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment