Friday, July 1, 2016

Review: Mechanical Hearts (Skeleton Key) by Nicole Blanchard

Book Blurb:

Skeleton Key Book Series

One Skeleton Key. Endless Adventures.

https://skeletonkeybookseries.com

Caroline Abernathy has lost her mind. Perhaps it was the bump on the head she took when an afternoon sailing expedition cruised right in the middle of a violent storm or maybe the stress of grad school has finally proven to be too much. Whatever the cause, she finds herself alone in a strange underwater world and at the mercy of a ruthless pirate.

Everyone has a price, at least according to the Pirate Prince, Ezra Castle. In order to purchase the fare needed to bring her home, Caroline agrees to spend the remainder of the voyage on his ship, helping him locate the priceless artifact she cost him.

What starts as a simple journey turns deadly when their ship is attacked by a band of assassins. Stranded, wounded, and without transportation, Caroline and Ezra will have to rely on each other to make it back alive.

Life and love are on the line and time is running out. Tick Tock.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars:

Genre: Another-World, Romance, Survival, Steampunk, Suspense--

Caroline can’t stand living with her aunt, but puts up with it so she can take care of her cousin Phoebe. After an especially bad fight, she storms out. She ends up at an old boat that use to belong to her dad and decided to stay the night. While trying to break into the boat, she discovers a key that doesn’t fit anything but appears to be special. Caroline ends up on an epic adventure in a new world, but all she wants is to be home.

I was really excited to get my hands on this story and I hope to read the rest of the novellas that create the shadow key series. For those who don’t know about the series, each book is written by different authors with new characters and adventures that tie in with a theme- in this case a key. The stories don’t need to be read in a particular order and are standalone by themselves, but together they create a bigger picture.

The story was incredibly complete for the fact it was only about 100 pages long (sure I have questions about how things work, but this plot wrapped up). I love the world the author created which was an underwater steampunkish type place. Due to a war, people have moved under the ocean to live, but all have some sort of strange enhancement due to birth defects. My favorite part was the setting and I would love for the author to write a full length story set in this same world because I am sure there is so much more for me to learn (I don’t need the same people to be in it, just the place).

I was a little confused by Caroline’s belief that she would take her cousin away from her aunt and it wouldn’t be a problem through a majority of the book, because that did not feel realistic to me. And yes, there is more revealed later on about Caroline’s family dynamic that makes more sense, but still for most of the story I was thrown off by this.

Overall it was a fun adventure with some very cool ideas presented by the author and a very attractive not-pirate to steal the show. I enjoyed the read and now need to discover more keys.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment