Saturday, July 23, 2016

Review: Live By The Team (Team Fear #1) by Cindy Skaggs

Book Blurb:

Military trained, medically enhanced, designed to kill.

They created a monster. Trained by the army, enhanced by medical experimentation, and tested in war. What happens to the creature when the war ends and the man awakens?

SSgt. Ryder was born, bred, and enhanced as a warrior, but when he returns home to his new wife—exiled from the Army along with the rest of his disgraced team—he faces mounting anger and paranoia. When a fellow soldier does the unthinkable, Ryder disappears to protect his wife, but his departure leaves a vacuum filled with danger. Can he save her or will he lose himself to the beast and destroy what matters most?

Abandoned most of her life, Lauren Ryder married thinking she had finally found stability, until her new husband disappeared. He returns altered and secretive. Can she forgive him for crushing her dreams of picket fences and happily ever after? Will she survive what he has become?

The surviving members of Team Fear are out of the military and in a world of secrets, lies, and cover-ups in this new romantic suspense series by Cindy Skaggs.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Mystery, Suspense--

Ryder was part of an elite military team that had been experimented on. When one of his team mates commits an atrocity, Ryder realizes it is only time before he too could snap, forcing him to leave his wife Lauren. When he returns six months later to officially let her go, he realizes that she is in serious trouble and only he can help her.

I was instantly engaged with this story, right from the first chapter when Ryder walks into a hostage situation regardless of the consequences. The book grabbed me and never let me go. I love a good romantic suspense, and that was just what this was. I also appreciated that there was not over the top sexual encounters (sure a few hot moment’s here and there but not super graphic). Most of the story dealt with the emotional turmoil between the characters mixed with near dangerous situations and investigations. There was never a dull moment in the plot and I found myself losing track of time as I read.

I liked that the book did not have to introduce the characters to each other, it started with them already married but estranged. They already knew what the other liked and had ideally planned to spend their lives together. The book alternated randomly between Lauren and Ryder’s narration, which I love in a romance so that both sides are understood (by me, not necessarily each other). I really liked both characters. Lauren was feisty and refused to be a victim, an interesting mix of book smarts and spunky personality. Ryder had that tall, dark protector thing going on, but he liked that Lauren could defend herself and bragged about how smart she was. The dynamic between them was at times heartbreaking because of all the turmoil, emotional baggage and secrets between them.

I rooted for Ryder to save the day and win back Lauren (for realsies this time) and would love to read more by this author. The other team members were introduced and I can't wait for their stories as well as the underlying mystery of who is behind everything.

I received this book form the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment