Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Review: Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson #9) by Patricia Briggs

Book Blurb:

Tensions between the fae and humans are coming to a head. And when coyote shapeshifter Mercy and her Alpha werewolf mate, Adam, are called upon to stop a rampaging troll, they find themselves with something that could be used to make the fae back down and forestall out-and-out war: a human child stolen long ago by the fae.

Defying the most powerful werewolf in the country, the humans, and the fae, Mercy, Adam, and their pack choose to protect the boy no matter what the cost. But who will protect them from a boy who is fire touched?

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries,Royal-Court, Supernatural, Urban Fantasy, Werewolves, Witches, Vampires--

After a troll attack on bridge that Mercedes, her mate Adam and a few pack members barely survive, Mercy is motivated to make a speech that takes a stand against the Fey. Her actions cause the pack unrest, but Adam supports her decision and is ready for whatever may come. They do not expect that what may come is a human child who was trapped in Faerie for an unknown number of years, seeking refuge. But the Fey want him back because he has secrets and they refuse to sit idly by.

I love this series and this book did not disappoint. I started reading this series years ago when I stumbled across the first book and my only complaint is that I have to wait at least a years between books. This series is a prime example of why I love Urban Fantasy. There is skin walkers, werewolves, Fey, Vampires, other lands, politics, battles, humor, danger, mysterious creatures, and Coyote (enough said). This is book #9 and the series need to read in order (and really why wouldn’t you want to start at the beginning?) because everything builds, be it relationships or plot.

Characterization is just as important to me, maybe even more so, than plot or action. I have to like or at least understand/empathize with a character to be fully engaged in a story. Mercedes is such an awesome character, one of my absolute favorite female book personalities. She is strong, resilient, logical, snarky/witty and fiercely loyal. The dynamic between Mercy and the other characters is constantly evolving as she tries to dance a fine line as Alpha and her true nature. This is not a romance, but the relationship between Adam and Mercy is my favorite and I cherish the few moments in the story where they have a quiet moment together. Side note, I really enjoy how the walking stick is technically just an inanimate object, yet it has personality, whims, motivations and outcomes that it expects. Briggs can create such crafty characters that are not even characters. All the people that she develops are unique, with motivation and personalities, may they be good or bad guys or maybe even just a shady mix in between.

I know I keep throwing around the word love, and sure I could replace it with a multitude of words, but I really do love this book/series. I am filled with joy just by having a title or release date mentioned. I can’t wait for some more of Coyote and Baba Yaga to pop in, just saying. I highly recommend starting this series to anyone who wants to try urban fantasy or just wants an engaging paranormal read.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment