Friday, June 3, 2016

Review: Out of Play by Nyrae Dawn & Jolene Perry

Book Blurb:

Rock star drummer Bishop Riley just needs a few months to relax and detox before his band's next tour. But the last place he expected to do it is in Seldon, Alaska. And the last person he wants to do it with is Penny Jones.

Fiery, headstrong Penny has zero in common with the cocky, too-hot-for-his-own-good Bishop, and she'd like to keep it that way. But the more Bishop gets under her skin, the more she wants to let him in. And the more Penny lets him see, the more Bishop wants to know this stubborn girl with the killer body and soulful eyes.

The simmering heat between them won't go away, no matter how hard either of them tries. Their time together in Alaska may be running out—but so is their resolve for not taking a chance on love.

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Teen--

Bishop is given the choice to go to Alaska under supervision or go to rehab as a result of almost overdosing on a pill cocktail one night after his band performed. Bishop resents everyone thinking he has a problem, when he feels he is not addicted and can stop at any time. Choosing to go to Alaska with his forced companion/sponsor Gary, he meets Penny. Penny is a force of nature, able to accomplish anything she puts her mind to regardless of the obstacle. Penny has some hard choices and truths to discover about herself too. They feel drawn together, but there may be too much baggage for it to last.

So this is the second book I have read this month with a main character dealing with an addiction problem. I find it very interesting that both stories represented the character in denial about themselves and their needs for the drug, whatever the drug may be. It is such a realistic element of a person with addiction issues, and it takes a big person to realize the truth. I was intrigued by the process that Bishop went through before he realized that there was a problem. I found this to be a very sweet emotional read. The book dealt with not only drugs, but with death, grief, heartache, growing up and hope, and I will admit to getting choked up at a few parts that I am still trying to block out because just thinking about them makes me emotional. Mad props to the author for giving me a case of the feels.

This is a character driven book, and thankfully, the characters are so well constructed and developed that I did not need a super complex plot to keep me engaged. The story is narrated by both Bishop and Penny, two very distinct voices. Both have insecurities and baggage that at times overwhelmed them, but together they were able to see the truth. Bishop lives this crazy life of being a rock star, but really he is just a kid who suffers from at times debilitating anxiety. Penny seems to have her life together, but her responsible nature and the fact she is seen as “one of the guys” keeps her isolated, with other people trying to plan her future. I liked both characters, flaws and all, and I liked watching them grow. The side characters were just as equally needed and developed, and I loved Gramps and Gary, and even Becca snuck up on me despite not liking her when she was introduced.

Overall I really enjoyed this story and found myself instantly involved in the characters and the drama right from the first chapter. This was my first book by this author and it will not be my last.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment