Monday, May 2, 2016

Review: The Halfling (The Aria Fae Series #1) by H.D. Gordon

Book Blurb:

HALF HUMAN, HALF FAE, TOTAL BADASS. What do you get when you take a highly trained Halfling teenager and throw her into the concrete jungle of Grant City?

One badass vigilante, of course!

17-year-old Aria Fae is no stranger to danger. She’s super fast, incredibly strong, and on her own for the first time ever.

Throw in a brand new best friend who’s a computer genius, a mysterious and super-fly older neighbor, and a drug that’s turning people into maniacs, and you’ve got the potion for trouble.

Will Aria risk everything to keep the streets of Grant City safe, or will the beasts of the jungle make her their next meal?

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Supernatural, Teen--

Aria is half Fae, half human, but now has to try and live a human life after being kicked out of her Fae guild when her mother died. She has been trying to survive and go to school, but overall is wallowing in depression and loneliness. When an act of kindness causes a girl to befriend her, it sets into motion a chain of events to change both girl's lives.

I have read a lot of books by H.D. Gordon and I can honestly say that I am a fan. She has the ability to craft interesting, detailed worlds with strong relatable characters. I have yet to be disappointed by something I have read from this author. When I had the opportunity to read this new book, I jumped at the chance. Not only was it a good author, but an Urban Fantasy, which is my favorite genre. One thing that Gordon does in all her books is the does or real-life situations, like death, depression, loss and tough decisions. Don't expect her books to be filled with butterflies and rainbows, but truth and feelings.

I was not let down by this book. I loved Aria as a character, she was resilient and brave, with some interesting powers and an epic appetite. Sam was like the side-kick, a crazy smart hacker girl who could make the impossible real. Together they made a well rounded team, with the rest of the assorted characters thrown in. The plot was fast paced and engaging, with twists and magic (as well as magic drug problems) and I could not predict the direct that it would go in next.

Overall, I am a fan of this book and want to have more set in this world. And I would love to see more about Reid (he was my favorite and I hope for a love connection between him and Aria despite the the conflicts.)

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment