Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: Revolution by Jessica Frances

Book Blurb:

I was raised in a world where humans no longer rule.

In the past, we made a terrible mistake by creating a new species we thought would serve us as our army, which led to our downfall.

There was a war, we lost, and many lives were massacred. It was the end of life as we knew it and the beginning of a hell we were now trapped in. We became enslaved to what we now called Superiors, becoming pets to them, simply there to entertain.

In a world so miserable, I managed to do the unthinkable: I fell in love. But even that was doomed, because to love a Superior was forbidden.

What the rest of the Superiors didn’t know was how deeply a human could love or how resilient we became when we were hurt.

The Superiors never could have imagined an uprising, which was why they never saw it coming.

Humans deserved to be free, and I would stop at nothing to deliver that promise.

My name is Tilly, and I am still alive with one sole purpose: to begin a revolution.

~

I had been raised to believe humans were worthless. We owned them and controlled them, and when we were done with them, we threw them away. Therefore, I never thought I would ever feel more for Tilly than disinterest. I never expected to want to save her.

It was forbidden for a Superior to love a human. No one had ever crossed that line, but I did. I fell madly in love with her, so it was no surprise how we ended up.

I was raised to be a soldier, and that was what I was always going to be. However, I was not a soldier for the Superiors, not anymore.

I became a soldier for humans, and I would stop at nothing to help them. They deserved to be free, and I would die protecting them.

My name is Johnny, and I am here with one sole purpose: to finish a revolution.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Dystopian, Supernatural, Survival, Romance--

So we start the book with Tilly, locked in a cage for the last month, beaten and starved. We watch Tilly get free of her cage as the world around her is slowly unveiled, introducing the reader to a world where humans are kept as pets. A superior race has taken over the world, human history and achievements a distant fairy-tale, humans now kept as slaves, pets and punching bags for the supernaturally enhanced, perfect race in charge. Tilly did the unthinkable and fell in love with her owner's son, causing her torture and her love's death. When the world seems like it is ending, Tilly is given a chance to be free and have a life unlike anything she could have ever have imagined.

This was an interesting story, predominantly the way the story unfolds. The story starts out with Tilly in current time, and then it switches to Johnny, her dead love's point of view from moments in his past. I was surprised by the delivery, but I think the author was able to create a well rounded story with both the human and the Superior point of view and see how their story and love evolved. I was expecting to read a heartbreaking story once I saw how broken and weak Tilly was in the beginning. And yes the book did start on a low point, but I was happy to see the book became a story of recovery, personal strength and growth as well as love. For such a dark start, the book ended on a high note full of hope. This may sound like a sci-fi/dystopioan heavy story, but the heart of the book was a romance. Can I also mention how much I love that this was a standalone story? In a world of trilogies, I do so enjoy a book with an ending.

I don't really have a complaint with the story per se, but I did have a hard time really rooting for Tilly since she appeared so weak and simple when introduced. She did become more developed and complete, but she still felt a little blah and slightly needy to me even at the end. I prefer stronger female character who don't really need anyone, but enjoy meeting her match and never give up. Johnny was more an idea than an actual person at times, so I saw his chapters as an opportunity to see more of the world of Superiors. I loved Charlotte though, she was my favorite, so fearless and brave. I liked the idea of the story but I did not find myself wrapped up in the book, so therefore I found it to be good but not a great read. I am sure that another reader will love this story of revolution and love.

I received this title from Xpresso Reads and the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment