Sunday, February 28, 2016

Review: Ignited (Ignited #1) by Desni Dantone

Book Blurb:

Seventeen year old Kris Young is on the run from a throng of superhuman golden-eyed freaks hell-bent on seeing her dead, and she doesn't know why. Good thing she has her guardian angel to protect her...sort of.

Kris is aided by Nathan, the mysterious man that ends up being anything but angelic when he rescues her for the fourth time in fourteen years. Even if the handsome hero illusion is shattered by his harsh treatment of her, he knows how to fight this strange enemy and is determined to keep her safe at all costs.

As the body count rises in their wake, Nathan introduces Kris to a world in which not everyone is human and the battle lines between good and evil are clearly drawn. Kris's piece in the puzzle is something neither is aware of and, as they uncover the truth, neither is prepared for what they find. Overcoming twists and revelations that shatter both of their lives, they discover that nothing is as it seems and nothing, least of all their hearts, are safe.

From debut author, Desni Dantone, Ignited is the first novel in a tale of first love, mystery and adventure that will introduce you to an exciting new world as Kris discovers how she fits in it.

My Review:

4 Out of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Survival, Teen--

Kris has moved around from foster home to foster home, having nothing but the hope of seeing her mystery man who shows up at time when she really needs him. When Kris is 17, he comes back into her life and all hell breaks loose. Kris is on the run from people who are trying to kill her and she has no idea why. All she can do is trust the mystery man who has saved her life when she needed him most.

I went into this book unsure of what I was getting so I was definitely surprised by what I received. I was pleasantly surprised by the direction the story took because the first few chapters felt like a teen drama. Once that was over, it was a supernatural survival book filled with a never ending battle between good and evil based on the Greek mythology and demigods, kind of like a more grown-up version of the Percy Jackson books. It was a unique premise for a new series and I would classify this as a paranormal adventure/action story with a scoop of romance thrown in for flavor.

Kris was a strange character, at first a moody mess, then an insecure girl and then a warrior in training. I was not too sure about her at the start of the story, but by the end she was a more likable determined character. I was glad that she had to work at her training instead of just magically becoming a great fighter off the bat. There is a lot of mystery surrounding where she came from, what everyone wants her for and what kind of powers she will have and I am intrigued by what her role really is. She did spend a lot of time stuck in her own head having what-if conversations and no action, but overall she staid pretty strong.

The story sets up a very in your face love triangle, which to be honest about I am not thrilled with. I don't like love triangles pretty much at all and the angst that comes with them. Here we have a girl who has never had a boyfriend or any real interest, and along comes the most attractive and charming of new students who only has eyes for her, add in the strong protector/mentor who tries to be rough and unfeeling but would love nothing more but to give into his feelings. Add in the battle for good and evil and picking of a side, a dead love one who lives on in a memory and teen angst, and we have a hum-dinger of a potential love disaster. I can honestly say that I am not sure who I would want her to pick, both men have potential, and I am sure who she will end up with after everything, but I like both of the guys for different reasons.

I think this series has a lot of potential for more to come, and there are tons of questions that were brought up for me that never had an answer so I look forward to the next book. I was confused as to what part Kris' best friend had in the ending, but I guess some things are unexplainable.

I received this title in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment