Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Review: More Than Once (Chasing The Dream, #4) by Elizabeth Briggs

Book Blurb:

She’s trying to be good. He loves it when she’s bad.

Andrew West is done being the nice guy. After a marriage proposal gone wrong, he’s started over in a new city and he’s never risking his heart again.

Becca Collins is done being the bad girl. After quitting the band she played bass for, she’s going to prove to her family that she’s really changed.

When Becca’s dumped by her boyfriend and fired from her job on Christmas Eve, all seems lost, until she runs into a former one night stand—Andrew. To impress her parents, Becca convinces him to pretend to be her perfect boyfriend for their holiday dinner.

After Andrew shows Becca he’s all bad boy in the bedroom, neither wants to pretend anymore. But when Becca's invited to rejoin her band for a show and Andrew's forced to face his ex, they both wonder if they're ready to take a leap again—or if they're doomed to fail in life and love a second time.

My Review:

3.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: New Adult--

Becca and Andy spent one hot night together when they both needed someone and then parted ways. 5 months later they run into each other and still feel some of the same sparks. Becca needs a pretend boyfriend to make her parents happy for Christmas Eve dinner and Andy feels guilt for causing Becca trouble. One night of a pretend relationship is all they agree to, but it may not be all that they get.

I have to get off my chest that I did not remember who Andy was. I have read all the books in the series and must have completely blocked him out because I thought he was a new character when I started this story. Once the book progressed and more back story was given the light bulb in my brain pinged, but for the first few chapters I was a blank. This is the fourth book in the series and it was the one I was looking least forwards to. The last book with the fashion competition was awesome with great characters, but I never liked Becca so I was not as enthused to start reading. Well, the author strikes again and makes me like her characters even when I did not expect to, flaws and all, making them real and relatable. And wow this book had some kink to it. Each book has progressively gotten steamier, and this one takes the cake, with about half the book being sex and the other half being plot. To be honest, I prefer a little more plot and less kinky sex in my books, but it was still an ok story.

Becca has a history in the series as being the wild child trouble maker who nobody wants around. That is how I saw her, so I had low expectations about her as a main character. I am glad to say that she is the wild child, but she is trying to be a better person and I rooted for her. I also liked her sister Trish being used in the story as a yin to Becca's yang, as if that is the path she could have taken. Can I mention how different perspective can make something seem? Yes I know that is kind of a stupid comment, but so applicable to this book. Andy was portrayed so blah in the second book, making him appear to be an undesirable, annoying guy that I barely (obviously) paid attention to. In this book, Becca finds him attractive and alluring, causing my preconceived notions to be flipped completely. I loved that Becca called out Andy on his behavior and that Andy pointed out truths to Becca she ignored. Both characters grow so much in the story, which was well done considering there are only 160ish pages or so in the book.

This was not my favorite book in the series, but I still enjoyed it. I did love the happily ever after and the opposites attract approach. I also enjoyed how this book went back full circle to the first book in the series and gave a really strong conclusion to a lot of loose ends. That being said, I hope this is not the end for books about Villain Complex because I have loved them and this series. I look forward to more books in the series and anything else from the author.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment