Thursday, July 16, 2015

Review: Earth and Sky by Megan Crewe

Book Blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Skylar has been haunted for as long as she can remember by fleeting yet powerful sensations that something is horribly wrong. But despite the visions of disaster that torment her, nothing ever happens, and Sky’s beginning to think she’s crazy. Then she meets a mysterious, otherworldly boy named Win and discovers the shocking truth her premonitions have tapped into: that our world no longer belongs to us. For thousands of years, life on Earth has been at the mercy of alien scientists who care nothing for humans and are using us as the unwitting subjects of their time-manipulating experiments. Win belongs to a rebel faction seeking to put a stop to it, and he needs Skylar’s help to save the world and keep the very fabric of reality together. Megan Crewe’s latest tale takes readers on a mind-bending journey through time with a cast of unforgettable characters.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Aliens, Another-World, Supernatural, Space--

Sky sees things that no body else seems aware of, she can't quite put her finger on it, but it just seems off. One day while on a class field trip, she encounters a strange boy who ends up saving all her classmates from a fatal accident. Unfortunately, she is the only one who knows. When the boy tells her that he is from another planet and he is here to save the earth, Sky has no choice but to help him since it is her future on the line.

I was really excited to read this book since it sounded like a fun, fast paced sci-fi story. The book started really strong and I was completely engaged, but then the story kinda fizzled out for me. To be perfectly honest, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the story/plot/characters per se, it was just not what I wanted in the slightest. I finished reading the story a week or so ago but was conflicted on my emotions towards it. I feel like the book took a very depressing turn that I was not anticipating. If I wanted to read a sad story, I would have picked one up to read. I chose this book because I wanted a fun adventure. I know lots of people will like the story, but I just felt sad and wallowy when I was reading. I won’t go into specifics, but every time I thought something good would happen and somebody would be saved, I was wrong. We watch at least 3 people die (and one vanish from time) and yet nothing is done to change it. I kept waiting for the time travelers to go back and resolve everything, but alas I had to wait forever because it never happened. The part about Sky's brother was devastating for both Sky and me. When the book ended, I just felt really down about it. I know it is the first in a series and I am sure things will get better, but I am not sure I want to read on. If it is anything like this journey, I think I will pass.

On a positive note, there were some very cool ideas presented in the book. I found the relationship between the aliens and humans very intriguing and the concept has the potential for growth. Also, the time travel tech was neat, with a blanket/tent that could time travel as well as camouflage, and was useful in nearly every situation.

This was not a bad book at all, and the writer did a good job of creating realistic characters and an interesting plot with tons of history thrown in. I just was not looking for a depressing quest but a fun adventure.

I received this title form the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment