Thursday, July 23, 2015

Review: The Day Human Prince by B. Kristin McMichael

Book Blurb:

Devin Alexander grew up as the only day human in a world surrounded by vampire-like night humans who drank blood, sometimes his blood. He spent his life training toward one goal: the protection of one of those blood drinkers, Arianna Grace. But what is he supposed to do when the blue-eyed girl of the legends doesn’t need him anymore? What does his life mean then? How is a guy supposed to move on when the girl he has yearned over for a decade has chosen someone else?

Before he can even start to figure out his new life without Arianna, Devin has to deal with another problem. He needs to take care of some unfinished business with a night human he has known for less than a month, but with whom he is magically bound.

Vanessa McKinny has promised that she knows a way to undo the spell she placed on Devin to save his life. Devin would do anything to break the bond to be free of her, even if it means traveling to the sidhe village, a place inhabited by a race of night humans that has not had a day human visitor in more than a hundred years. If he doesn’t want to get stuck, he must work with Nessa to find a way to break the bond. Only then can Devin have time to get back to finding his new goal in life, unless he discovers that his path lies with the sidhe.

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Vampires, Supernatural--

Nessa tied Devin's life to her own when she healed him while he was dying. Now, he is willing to do anything to break the bond with the girl he barely knows and get back to his life. But first, they must return to her Night Human Fey village to find her grandfather (who may or may not be dead) to break the bond while avoiding assassins at every turn and keeping Nessa out of jail for the crime of killing her brother, the King. Nobody every expected what would come next.

I have not read any books by this author before but I have been wanting to fervently. When I saw that this was a new series by her I jumped at the chance to give it a whirl. I was surprised to find that this is actually a spin off from the Blue Eyes series, set in the same world but focusing on two side characters instead. That being said, it was a little hard to keep up at first with the pre-established supernatural world they existed in. I got the gist of it after a bit, but I was really happy when the author went into a new territory for Nessa's people, which I assume the original series had not fully addressed so I wan not missing anything. The author did do a good job of making the two main characters backstories apparent for those who did not know, and this was the first of a brand new adventure, so that was nice.

Nessa seemed delicate due to her trusting nature, but she was tough and capable, probably due to being trained as a warrior. She was so different from the rest of her people because she was not an illusion, but instead a real person and what you saw was you got. Devin on the other hand liked to hold his feelings and ideas close to him, never expressing himself, just silently taking everything in. He is much better suited to reading people and understanding motivations and desires than Nessa realizes. The two were such opposites when it came to personality, but they made a great team. And the chemistry was intense, you could practically see sparks fly when they spoke or just looked at each other, be it attraction or anger.

My one complaint was that the book seemed really short at roughly 150 pages according to my ereader and I would have liked more, especially more about the relationship between Devin and Nessa. I don't want to spoil anything, but they had a point in the book where their relationship turned tangible and real, not just the bond in the way, but in my opinion it needed a final push to get it where I wanted it to be. Well, it got where I wanted but I felt like I missed a piece of the journey that I would have liked to have traveled. This is just the first book in what is a trilogy, so I am sure that I will get the opportunity to see them grow together as well as see how the Night Humans feel about the changes they bring.

I received this title from the publisher in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment